Second Episode Slump

(Reese Hayes) #1

After a fairly successful pilot episode that garnered a significant amount of attention (for me), I’ve finally completed the second episode of my web series and no one seems to care… How do you get people to stay interested in your show especially when episodes might not come out consistently every week? Do y’all have any advice to try to avoid this happening again with episode 3?

(Emma Drewry) #2

this is super hard-- everyone struggles with it, especially after the first episode. my advice is to create as much hype as possible for at least a week before you drop your next episode, and add your pilot to all your posts promo-ing the next episode to remind people what they’re getting hyped for and what they liked about your show originally. it’s hard to get an audience to check something out they’ve forgotten-- there’s so much happening nowadays.

(Bri Castellini) #3

So there’s always going to be a slump, because of a variety of things that often have nothing to do with you or your show. A strong marketing plan helps, though- figuring out how best to reach your audience makes the path to letting them know there’s new episodes available smoother. Consistent posting helps as well- was there a large gap between the two episodes? It can be hard if people don’t have a “every Monday at 6pm” schedule to set their fandom to. Regularity encourages people making a habit of you and your show, and makes it easier to consistently market. And release extra content in between releases to keep people excited- tease the next episode (and the release date), share extra photos or interviews so that your show is always top of mind for them. That sort of thing

(Herman Wang) #4

This is why I started releasing our episodes in chunks, or most recently an entire season at once (although I don’t know if this applies to your show).

We’re not like, say, Doctor Who where people are actively waiting for our next episode. Putting a bunch out at once gets the views for the brief period where we have their attention.

(Emma Drewry) #5

we did something similar! we waited until we had three episodes (out of twenty one) ready to release before we aired so that people had a decent chunk to watch

(Ian David Diaz) #6

Hi Reese, well that’s a hard question because I think there no real answer. Maybe sometimes it has to do with the concept. If it doesn’t grab the viewer’s attention on the first Ep then you lose that viewer, some may give the second Ep a go but if it’s not rocking their world they’ll not come back for the 3rd. People are people at the end of the day and have their own shit to get through in life so asking them to commit to something is really hard if the concept doesn’t grab them from the start. Which means before you shoot a frame you have to think about the concept and ask yourself do you think it’ll get enough eyeballs on your show. From the concept, production, casting, and the promotions material this all has to attract the punters. And here’s where opinions differ what’s a good concept for one is rubbish to another, it’s a crapshoot. But let’s not kid ourselves, the chances of our Web series going viral is a million to one the only thing you can do is try and stack the odds in your favor. You live and you learn, on YouTube my 5 part web series Rebecca Gold - Ep1 4.7k in 2 months, Ep2 2k in 2 months a very visible drop, Ep3 1.3k in 1 month, Ep4 961 views in 1 month and my last Ep5 1.2k in 1 month. So yep the views drop, it’s to be expected. In retrospect, I should have released all 5 Eps at once, but as I said you live and you learn.

(Reese Hayes) #7

There was a huge gap between episodes. And by the nature of how we make the show, there will be another long wait for the next one.

Thanks for the advice! I need to listen to the marketing episode of the podcast again!!

(Reese Hayes) #8

Ahh the netflix model. I love it :slight_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #9

Haha and perhaps read all our other marketing-tagged articles? (for serious, though, most of the slump between episodes is marketing-based. You’ll inherently market less with every successive release, because a premiere is exciting and new but a second episode, especially after a long amount of time, just doesn’t cash in the same feeling. So making content in between, video or otherwise, will help bridge the gap and keep people invested)

(Garrick Wade) #10

I did this as well with my show Remembering Wednesday. We got a lot of views and feedback on it from doing that way. Check it out Remembering Wednesday

(Garrick Wade) #11

This is good advice Bri. I am trying to think of new content I can be pushing out to help keep driving traffic to the channel.

(Bri Castellini) #12

We’ve actually got some things that will hopefully help with that! I’m doing a workshop in NYC in February, and probably a webinar version shortly after!