Sharing news on FB/Twitter as Your Page?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #1

I’ve got another one for you guys to discuss. What’s the best way to share news to your FB/Twitter page from other sources? Directly sharing the URL to your page? RT/Sharing from the source’s page itself? What seems to work the best for you guys as far as the algorithms go?

Example: I copy a link from Polygon to one of their articles and post it to my Flagon’s Twitter/FB. Is that better or worse than just RT’ing or Sharing directly from Polygon’s social media page?

(Bri Castellini) #2

No idea why you’re asking :wink: but here’s my thought:

I would copy/paste said Polygon link to my page with a sentence or less of unique commentary or hype language (ex: “Who else is pumped as h*ck for the new Skyrim game?!?! [link]”) so that it comes from your page and if people share the news on their own page/account they’re sharing YOUR post (and thus your page link) instead of just the original Polygon link (even if they reshare the version YOU reshared, you’ll get mostly dropped from the interaction)

(Jonathan Hardesty) #3

That’s kind of what I was leaning toward, but it feels like stealing in a weird way. Like here’s content from us, except it’s not from us and the source is really small text in the share card. Might just be my own weird hangup from seeing people not attribute on tumblr. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bri Castellini) #4

But you’re literally linking to their article, so you’re not failing to attribute. You’re just not sharing from the promo post THEY made. Ultimately their promo post is to get you to the link, which you’re still maintaining. Ultimately, the content is still theirs. The link, headline, photo, etc is still from their shizz. It’s just not the particular social media promo post whose only purpose was to promote said link. It’s much less sketch than, say, me posting a news link in to a new forum thread then promoting to the forum thread instead of the news link (never done that before what)

(Herman Wang) #5

That’s generally what I do - share from the source but add your own bit so you’re still in the loop. As I see it, it’s a win-win for you and the source.

(Meg Carroway) #6

Agree! I love win-win solutions :slight_smile: