Starbucks moments?

(Herman Wang) #1

There’s a lot of buzz lately about how a Starbucks cup was accidentally left in a Game of Thrones scene. I thought it would be fun to share our own similar stories.

Here’s ours: we left a video monitor on the grass when we switched shooting to the opposite angle.

Luckily I was able to fix it using this technique.

How about you? Any gaffes you managed to fix or just hoped that nobody would notice?

2 Likes
(Bri Castellini) #2

Oh god this happens to us all the time. Here’s gaff tape in Brains:

A Snapple bottle in Sam and Pat:

I know there’s at least one shot in Sam and Pat season 2 with a full camera rig on a table but I can’t find it right now. We’ve only ever reshot once as a result of one of these things, when a camera move revealed our entire pelican case and a bit of camera equipment and we couldn’t cut around it.

1 Like
(Herman Wang) #3

A gaffe with gaffer tape - I love it!

2 Likes
(Bri Castellini) #4

Our explanation was… “She probably put up signs around the quad advertising her great cookies and this was the tape she used.” haha

2 Likes
(Deb Ethier) #5

There was that Downton Abbey water bottle a while back, too!
It’s a bit different in animation as you’re working with individual frames or images prepared in advance, but sometimes you get what I call “gremlins” that show up - weird little anomalies or strange stuff that you have to track back to see what happened. There’s an example that I called the wandering “d”; it was an animated scene of an opening book, but one of the lowercase "d"s had a mind of its own and was tracking across the frame independent to the rest of the text. After going right back to the original images, I discovered it was a dumb little mistake on my part. All fixed now, but it was kind of strange! :thinking:

(Herman Wang) #6

Wow, that was almost 5 years ago! I don’t watch that show, though.

Yeah, animation mistakes don’t usually make it to the public eye, but I remember the first Shrek had a DVD extra with “divide by zero” errors where the characters’ faces basically exploded into fragments.

1 Like
(Deb Ethier) #7

Yeah, I agree it’s not quite the same as live action as the mistakes are usually caught in animation. Some of the gremlins are pretty interesting, though (like the Shrek thing); I could make an experimental reel of all of mine as a surreal alternate world, but I’ve probably deleted most of them. I did find one that made it into an episode, though, where the front wheel of a bicycle was in front of some foliage and the back wheel was behind it. Didn’t notice it until later on and it’s quite brief (and the main action is elsewhere), so decided to leave it in to see if anyone catches it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #8

Yup. Us too.

2 Likes
(Emma Drewry) #9

we once shot all of our wide coverage for an entire episode with a ladder in the wrong place AND my full season of scripts on the bed (the binder). we ended up moving the schedule around to get the coverage, but then the footage got lost… so the episode looked like this:

thankfully, no one’s seemed to notice, and the majority of the episode is in close ups anyways, but that was probably our worst fuck up. we also have a few minor things in a few frames-- especially anytime the door on our main set opened, because it led into the kitchen of the house even though it was supposed to be a dorm. we tried to cut around it, but still end up with a couple frames like this:

(you can also see an extension cord in this shot, oops)

our main set was the bedroom of a character who canonically had weapons, tools, and other random objects on her at all times, so we didn’t have to worry about tape/rope/hammers/etc as much as keeping everything continuous. we had a couple close ones though :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Ethan Pavone) #10

it happens all the time. I always reference Brad Pitt’s “shrimp” in Oceans 11. It can happen to ANYONE. Just do your best and if possible have another set of reliable eyes to try to catch these mistakes. In my 1st short film there is a pan shot and you can see one of the grips crouching behind a statue. S#!t happens…

1 Like
(Herman Wang) #11

1 Like
(Carlo Delmar) #12

Visual effects artist Nick Montgomery talks about digitally removing an object from a scene in this ten-minute video: https://vimeo.com/85701642