Storyboarding your web series

(Gordon McAlpin) #1

Hey, Stareable.

I’m an animator, so storyboarding is a must for me. The script I’m currently working on, I started breaking down and initially thought it was going to need 22 shots, but while storyboarding, I’ve started whittling that down considerably. (I like really long shots, but as a 2D animator, turning the camera is not so easy. Pans and zooms are more manageable.)

The other benefit to storyboarding is building an animatic (or previsualization/previs as I guess it’s often called in live action): basically a timed video with crude animations. I’ve often reworked scenes significantly in the animatic stage; you can use it like a rough draft before you every draw or shoot a frame of film.

How many of you live action web series creators actually board your episodes?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #2

Having done it for my animated show and seeing the above benefits you mention, I plan on drawing up storyboards and making animatics for my live action projects as well. It REALLY helps me figure out the shots I want and gives me a chance to play editor in the early stages and really figure out how to be economical with my screen time.

(Bri Castellini) #3

I’ve never storyboarded a web series (mostly because my series tend to not be the storyboarded type of projects like found footage and also I didn’t direct either of my web series) but I have storyboarded both of my short films. They help me largely because I didn’t go to film school and having a visual depiction of what I’m thinking helps me communicate with more experienced DPs who can explain “that looks insane. We should do it this way” before we get to set and realize I’m an idiot.

It also helps force me to think about scene transitions in a way you just don’t when working entirely in text shot descriptions.

Here are some storyboard-to-screen examples from my first short film:

(Gordon McAlpin) #4

Since we’re sharing, I just uploaded an early rough cut (complete with temp dialogue and “sound effects” by yours truly) to YouTube so people can compare:

Rough cut: https://youtu.be/-9ccYHg_sTg

Final version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS39OlVgWyU

The way the “You’re the man now, dog” change was cut together from Tom just playing around, and I think I changed the gender of the customer part-way through the storyboarding process (I forget if Kurt’s sign says “sir” in this) — but for the most part, the final version is pretty much the animatic, polished.

(Bri Castellini) #5

@cagesafe @OSTSG @ghettonerdgirl @RDRICCI @danielmhart @Peppered @floorthirteen @Sandwich_Fam @Marina_Tait

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #6

All the episodes I do go through a phase of supporting storyboards with very dirty and fast drawings. I use a free software called Storyboarder
Sometimes, I also make the first sketches in a notebook and then continue in the software.
With a notebook.

With Storyboarder software.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #7

I got some of those! I used them mostly for our Season 1 finale because we had a lot of different shots that were quite ambitious for us. It helped me get an idea what I wanted the final product to look like. Ahh memories!