Streaming Projects With Amazon Video Direct

(GeoAwiyn Henries) #1

I was wondering how many of you out there distribute your projects via Amazon’s video direct program… Specifically, a web series. How did you market it, and was it a fruitful endeavor?

(Bri Castellini) #2

@LisaEbersole @HackettKate

(Kate Hackett) #3

It’s no longer worth it.

(Ian David Diaz) #4

Well, my show was on Youtube for 4 months, I think, and then my distributor put it on Amazon Prime in the UK and the US, I think 5 people paid to see it and we got 3 good reviews in the UK and 2 in the US. I guess it was worth it :slight_smile: as now I can say Rebecca Gold is now on Amazon Prime! With all web series, there’s only one way of marketing it, posters and hitting all the social media outlets, as far as I can tell the only advantage you get is that it has a chance for more people to watch it.

(Kate Hackett) #5

I amend this:

If you have a long series (CA was something like a billion minutes), it’s no longer worth paying to have it captioned so it’s able to go up on Amazon. If you’re paying to have someone deal with all the absurd Amazon art requirements, that also adds to the cost. And you will not make it back.

Amazon is also lowering its fees again, removing films and shows without warning or even acknowledgement, and is no longer a platform worth pursuing if you can’t get your work up there for free or very little.

(GeoAwiyn Henries) #6

Thank you guys, this was very helpful. I can do all the landing page and caption stuff myself. I’ll look at other options once we are done, but so far the cost is in the hundreds per episode.