Suggestions to get people join your team?

(Zachary Just) #1

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to reach out to people to get people to join my production team?

I got through making the pilot episode of my web series by hiring a variety of artists and animators while I handled the writing and overall production. I ended up going through a decent amount of artists because of scheduling, reliability, quality, etc. Because I outsourced a lot of artwork and animation, I ended up spending a ton of money I really shouldn’t have spent haha.

Now I’m trying to transition to making several shorts with less complicated animations so I can build a larger audience to crowdfund a season of full length episodes. The issue is that I basically have no budget right now and outsourcing the work is too expensive, time consuming (in a weird way), and is too hard to manage quality. Because of this, I’m looking to partner with a local animator/artist.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make it attractive for them to partner with me? Right now my plan is to reach out to local college students in art/animation programs. I want to at least pay them as much as my budget allows, but I want to get them to buy in as a way to grow their portfolio and experience.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading that wall of text.

-Zach

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #2

Hey Zach,

Not sure if you’ve read these, but here are some articles I’ve written that may help you. I’ve written these with a live action series in mind but the prinicples still apply. I hope it helps!

(Zachary Just) #3

Hey thanks for the reply, very useful information. Do you know if anyone has ever structured it in a startup sort of way where cast/crew members work and receive equity of future earnings(if there are any)? I’m just trying to think of creative ways to get a couple of people invested while keeping my budget under control.

Thanks again.

(Bri Castellini) #4

That’s called deferred payment, and is pretty common practice! It’s something you work out at the contract level- speaking of, always have a contract. Can @SnobbyRobot or @HackettKate link to/briefly describe deferred payment? I don’t have much experience with it personally

(Lisa Ebersole) #5

As someone who worked in animation – if you are not doing the drawing, you need an illustrator/animator, and to do it cheaply and quickly, they probably work in Flash or a similar 2D program. I would call the UCLA Animation Department and tell them you’re looking to hire an illustrator/animator and can they recommend a few students? Or can they blast out your email w job description? I’m sure you will get a lot of young, eager, talented people replying. I don’t believe in asking people to work for free, so I also advise you to pay CA minimum wage, $125/12hr day or $11/hr. I would forget future equity and all that as it makes your project more difficult to sell when you get there and I just think you get better work from people and can ask for what you need when they’re actually receiving monetary compensation, now. Also, as a film student, I deleted emails that were for unpaid projects. Film students are doing that all day for their peers as required by class, they need to, and should, make actual $ for outside of school work. My two cents. Best of luck!

(Zachary Just) #6

Fantastic idea, I really do appreciate the help.