Teach Me Tuesday: Define your audience

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

How do you define the audience for your content, and how did you come to that conclusion?

Alternate: if you’re confused about defining your audience, write a list of the genres/keywords your show fits into (horror, comedy, LGBT representation, mental health, etc) and we’ll try to help!

(Bri Castellini) #2

This is always a weird one for me, but as of late I generally define my overall audience largely by defining myself:

• Women
  • Age 15-30
  • Often asexual
  • Fans of talky, conversational comedy (as opposed to hard joke comedy, toilet comedy, or physical comedy)
  • Into geeky references
  • Some sort of mental illness diagnosis

I’ve had the most success marketing work to the asexual community because they’re the most underrepresented community in that list, but I’ve found that breaking out my projects into several keywords helps me target for subreddit promo, Tumblr tags, and Facebook boosted posts. Varying success, but definitely the more niche, the better. Women aged 15-30 is nothing, so I had to go deeper.

(Daniel Hart) #3

This has always been something that I’ve struggled with. All of my work is “family-friendly” (and I market it as such), but I think a lot of people hear “kid show” when they read that. While we strive to be accessible and appropriate for kids, we’re certainly not tailoring to them. At the same time, I think we can be a little goofy and silly for the “grown-up” crowd, and I’m not sure we appeal to the average millennial either.

Recently, I’ve been trying to split the difference by using the slogan, “Comedy for the kid in everyone.” The idea behind that is, no matter what age you are (teen, millennial, middle-aged, senior), our content would appeal to whatever childlike innocence is still inside you.

To Bri’s point, I define my ideal audience by defining myself. That has always made the most sense to me. Hopefully, we all enjoy the work that we create, so it would stand to reason that people like us would enjoy it too, right? In the case of my show, The Hart Siblings I consider both my sister and myself as the target demographic.

Spelling it out, that would look something like this:

1. Twentysomething
  2. Single
  3. Geeky
  4. Christian
  5. Ex-homeschooler

That said, one wouldn’t need to check all (or even one) of these boxes to enjoy our show. I truly believe that it has something for everyone. Nevertheless, our humor is probably most accessible to someone who has at least a couple of these attributes.

In a perfect world, I’d like my series to be enjoyed by and as the family unit: kids and parents watching together. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how realistic that is in modern society.

(Kyla) #4

my target audience is basically… tumblr (and also mostly goes along with defining your audience by yourself)

• teenager (13-18ish)
  • LGBTQ
  • fans of riverdale/gossip girl/various other “teen” tv shows
  • fans of stranger things/everything sucks/various other 80s & 90s set tv shows
  • liberal minded/left leaning

I don’t even know what else ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I should probably think about that more aka now I’m going to create an entire doc outlining my audience and what exactly appeals to them

(Melissa Malone) #5

This is super tricky for us. We are a horror series that is safe for a PG13 audience- a gateway for tweens and teens to get into horror. However, must like @danielmhart’s “family-friendly” problem, the “horror” audience sometimes sees that and thinks “not scary enough…” lol.

While we set out to be a show made with teens in cast/crew FOR teens… it seems our actual audience skews older so we have started taking that into account! Our audience also changes slightly based on our season; since each season is so different in terms of horror genre. We find “Happy Thoughts” had a much younger and much more female audience than “Golden Rule,” for instance. And a lot of the audience that started watching 5 years ago as young teens are now older which we are doing our best to keep in mind with the upcoming season- a much grittier, intense season.

I think our overall audience, though can be defined as:

• Men/Women
  • Aged 15-35
  • Fans of horror & literature
  • Fans of crime dramas
  • People that grew up reading Fear Street, etc.
  • People with slightly longer attention spans than the 2 minute comedy series calls for

(Travis Grossi) #6

I love the phrase “comedy for the kid in everyone!”

(Travis Grossi) #7

I love this exercise. Our target audience is:

• LGBTQ friendly
  • Ages 25 - 45
  • Fans of awkward comedy/dramadies like Girls, Looking, Please Like Me
  • Showtune friendly

Before posting our trailer this past weekend, I thought our audience would skew towards men. But looking at the data on who’s watching and liking our page so far, it’s 70% women, which is interesting. This coooould be because I probably have more female than male friends on FB, so the initial audience pool could be imbalanced, but I’m curious to see if this changes once we put the show up.

(Kevin Longa) #8

Likewise! I also look at myself when creating my one true fan. However, since TASTE is a documentary series about international food, I actually find that women gravitate to that subject more than men - for some reason.

I will say, @danielmhart, that I only check 2 of your boxes (single and twentysomething), yet I really enjoy your series. :relaxed:

(Daniel Hart) #9

Good to know! Like I said, we really do try to appeal to everyone as much as possible.

(William E. Spear) #10

Our show in pre-production is about two 45+ year old women suffering from advanced Lyme. One is battling her own internal fears and medical conditions resulting from Lyme and the other is struggling with her family’s apathy towards her unseen illness.

The primary audience is the Lyme community - patients, families, caregivers, advocates, etc. The series is intended to put a light on one segment of patients and give them something to point at and “That’s what it is like.”

The secondary audience is more of a purpose than a demographic segment. How the disease presents itself is mostly misunderstood and misdiagnosed. The series’ intent is to demystify the disease and encourage individuals to pursue correct medical analyses rather than accept easy prescriptions.

We have been finding audiences through the groups on Facebook and other online media. The series’ initial target audience characteristics are the following:
A) Age: Mid-forties;
B) Gender: Female;
C) Professional;
D) Powerful;
E) Intelligent; and,
F) Sense of humor.

The only characters on screen are female. They are not relying on anyone other than their own wits and abilities. There is no language that would cause anyone to object. Simply two characters fighting for their lives.

All of the above is the series’ intended audience and the other posts in this thread will help.

(Emma Drewry) #11

Our audience is essentially the audience of KindaTV, but we define it like this (for now?):

Primarily AFAB
Queer
Ages 15-27
Fans of sitcoms and/or action & fantasy novels
Fans of properties like Carmilla, Gallagher Girls, anything that mixes reality with exciting fantasy or action

(Michael Competielle) #12

I’d like to see this once done William.

(William E. Spear) #13

Michael - Updates will be posted here. Let’s continue to talk.