Teach Me Tuesday- Fellow Filmmakers

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

How do you engage with and leverage your relationships with fellow filmmakers to improve your craft and promote your show?

Also: how do you WISH other filmmakers engaged with you/your work?

(Bri Castellini) #2

I love asking people for how they did certain things in their shows, be it a special effect, bit of fight choreography, or even just where they bought a certain piece of production design- I just love to know how they did stuff. Sometimes it’s because I need to learn it for an upcoming project, but a lot of the time it’s just because I want to know because I love learning how people accomplish awesome stuff without blockbuster budgets! I also find that it creates more tangible bonds because I’m not just like “hi fellow filmmaker, I am also filmmaker, we should connect,” but rather I’m engaging with their work and letting them teach me things that they’re passionate/excited about.

(Daniel Hart) #3

To expand upon Bri’s point of “engaging with their work”, when I’m introducing myself to a fellow filmmaker I like to compliment something specific about their film. If I think I’m way above someone in terms of skill or experience, my tendency is spout off on all the things I hated under the guise of “constructive criticism”. Whereas, if someone is clearly way beyond me, it’s a little intimidating to make any comment at all, ‘cause “why would they even care what I think?” Neither of these outcomes are especially helpful for either party.

But if I start off by complimenting a relatable and tangible aspect of their work (“the framing of this shot”, “the editing in this scene”), I think it shows that we’re all filmmakers with the same goals and struggles. It also tells someone that I did actually take the time to watch and think about their work, and hopefully that should encourage them to reciprocate. Once that initial connection is formed, I think it becomes a lot easier and more natural for education and criticism to flow between us.

-Daniel

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

I didn’t do this myself, but when I was meeting some web series creators via the festival circuit I noticed that many shows were friends with each other and did crossover episodes. My friend Jeff who made Super Knocked Up/Super Geeked Up did some crossover episodes with characters from other web series. You can check out his playlist here. He called it Super Mashed Up which makes it even more awesome.

I never got to coordinate this with anyone but am so down to do in the future!

(Herman Wang) #5

I think Yukata Cowboy does the same thing too :slight_smile:

(William E. Spear) #6

I read lots of posts on forums such as Stareable. I watch episodes over and over; for me, it’s similar to be in a master class. As to inviting engagement from other individuals, that happens by osmosis (sp?). Also, I try to be open to direct inquiries and answer questions directly.