Teach Me Tuesday: unpopular opinions

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

What are your unpopular web series opinions?

• be nice, but I wanna know!

(Bri Castellini) #2

Unpopular opinions:

• While I respect and love the vlog-style subgenre of web series, I am kind of over it unless the series does something new with it. Sometimes that’s as simple as taking the camera to more than one room, or making the public nature of the characters’ stories integral to the plot in a nwe and exciting way, but in general, it’s been so overdone of just having a series of monologues in a single room tell a story.
  • I thought Emma Approved was kind of boring, and I thought Frankenstein MD was about 30 episodes too short to justify the stakes and giant plot leaps (especially between characters. I mean, Rory died and like no one was upset even a little bit??)
  • The number of dramatic series I’ve thought were good I can count on one hand (as opposed to comedy or genre). Drama is SO HARD for the web and I’ve yet to see anyone completely, 100% nail it.
  • Some of the jokes in Poe Party felt self indulgent instead of funny

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

I’m all for a fun roommate comedy or a struggling actor/actress story, but if you’re going to choose this sub-genre please add a twist of some kind. I remember seeing one about a cripple actress, that’s a good example of a different perspective to make it fresh! There are so many of these type of web series and they tend to blend together so add something we haven’t seen before. I don’t know if that’s unpopular to say, but maybe constructive criticism?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

Drama is such a broad category I don’t like being in it. That’s why I’ll say we’re a teen drama or dramedy. It’s pretty competitive and something action-y usually ends up taking the spotlight in that category.

(Bri Castellini) #5

@CommunityMVPs @hailstorm @HailstoneHarper @mintypineapple @mdec24 @Brad_Riddell @RDRICCI @Offbeat @whoisjonporter @Ian_David_Diaz @OddLantern @floorthirteen @solostinlost @w-e-spear @olga_markovic @cec263 @Halen_Williamson

(Herman Wang) #6

Some web festivals clearly pick their Official Selections based on high-budget production value, without acknowledging that the web series world is full of low-budget players, which was kind of the point when the whole web series thing started.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #7

I’m kind of done with the whole D&D-esque web series where it’s a bunch of gamers who are SUDDENLY FOR REAL IN THE GAME! Or they are just doing The Guild but not as good.

(Anna Bateman) #8

I was gonna say something similar!!! It’s so frustrating!! The cool thing about web series is that people who make them are from all different disciplines, so a show might have dope writing but bad audio, or great acting but bad cinematography, and it’s crazy that people can’t see past that.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #9

amen.

(Anna Bateman) #10

Or Video Game High School. Them and the Guild kinda were all I needed of that genre.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

That’s Future Man. Unless you have a big budget it can be hard to pull off, no?

(Herman Wang) #12

There’s kind of a Venn Diagram for “poorly done” vs “amateur” that some people don’t want to bother navigating.

(Lessa Smith) #13

We hav seen just about every angle of therapist show… I mean shows ABOUT therapists who have wacky or scary clients. like… we get it. being a therapist is complicated and sometimes can psychologicallyharm the therapist

(Melissa Malone) #14

Hipsters being hipsters… and living together? I’m all for the roommate comedies- they’ve proven they stand up to the test of time via basically every sitcom imaginable but I need some sort of creative twist? Other than… ‘they’re quirky’.

(Ian David Diaz) #15

Hi herndellca, you can achieve a high-budget production value look with not much money, you just have to know the basics of 101 of filmmaking, I know loads of cheats maybe I can share with the class. I know what you mean about the festivals but as I said there are ways of cheating.

(Anna Bateman) #16

I don’t think he’s saying his show isn’t high production value… but also this misses the point. His “unpopular opinion” is that webfests get distracted by high production value when that doesn’t necesarilly translate to a good show or a worthwhile award. There are shows made by more amateur crews that are better stories than bigger shows, but since bigger shows are flashy they get more attention

(Herman Wang) #17

This is exactly it.

I do feel that we squeeze a reasonable level of production value out of our show, but you still can’t compete with having loads of money.

(Anna Bateman) #18

Yeah there are like fundamental things you can’t achieve without money or resources. You only have the camera gear/lighting/actors you can afford, and if you can’t afford much… you do the best you can and read lots of Stareable articles to make up for the rest haha

(Ian David Diaz) #19

I agree with the vlog-style subgenre of web series being overdone that’s why I choose not to go down that road on my first outing with my web series. I love drama and yes it’s hard for a web series but we all know we’re not going to make a profit for our efforts so I think people should just shoot whatever they want, also it’s all a matter of taste I guess, so people may have loved Frankenstein MD as is, it doesn’t matter if it fails - failure is just another word for learning, it’s all a learning curve, I love the journey!!!

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #20

Does it have a future to do six or more chapters when most people only see the first, maximum the second episode? What’s worse Why do festivals require a minimum of 3 minutes, the more I research on the internet, each episode should not last more than 15 seconds?