Teach Me Tuesday: what's YOUR marketing expertise?

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

What types of marketing/ promotion do you think you’re best at? Social media, in-person outreach, email, or what?

Tell us your expertise, how you got to be so good at it, and anything you’ve learned as a result!

(Bri Castellini) #2

I would say mine is social media, particularly Twitter. I’ve found that one of the best ways to make it worth it is to be on it all the time, which I’m aware is a privilege of my day job in an office. But being able to pounce on a conversation starter or lead minutes after it’s posted has been so vital in my marketing strategy.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

I have to say I’ve been doing well with the GNG instagram. We got around 450 followers in a short amount of time. I take pics that represent our style and have posted pics that have started conversations. My fave pics on our IG account are the stickers we post around IRL. Ppl seem to really like those! Not sure if this is leading to more views on our videos but at least more people know who we are!

(Bri Castellini) #4

@CommunityMVPs

(Herman Wang) #5

Given that our series is Harry Potter-based, our appearances at comic/fandom cons have definitely been our best marketing approach. There are visible bumps-up in views in the days after the con wraps.

(Bri Castellini) #6

How did you first get into the con circuit? Did you just start showing up, did you get invited to one and then it kept going, or what?

(Herman Wang) #7

Usually we’ll apply for a panel or vendor table. Cons won’t typically have time to answer cold calls from a not-A-list celebrity :slight_smile:

(Melissa Malone) #8

I think I do a decent job on social media… I’ve gotten great about short videos, images, etc to kind of remind people we are around. In person is always best- thankfully our cast and crew is amazing about showing up for events and together we are so ridiculous and seem to always have a good time meeting new people. Comic Cons were a HUGE help, at least in the beginning to get the word out about who we were and we have found a very loyal fan group that way.

(Ron Valderrama) #9

I would say I have devoted a lot of time into keeping current viewers engaged through my newsletter. For new viewers, it’s always a work in progress. First to understand who they actually are and take steps to find them. As a for instance, I noticed that only 25% of my viewers were female and have started to source content to hit that demographic and expand that audience. As content selection grows, I have started to focus my marketing efforts on getting it in front of them in various way (organic and paid ads).

(Amen J.) #10

Writing is one of my strengths and I think I have an overall sense of how to do good copy in order to get the word out in general. I don’t think I am particularly strong in any one social media platform, but I am good at brainstorming how to combine the right media in order to get people excited, including press coverage, posters, word of mouth, etc. I have looked at other successful projects and observe what it is that they do to promote their work and why that works for them. I’ve worked briefly as a journalist and I’ve studied communications too, so all of that likely helps in thinking about your audience. When I see others promoting their work, I pay attention to what appeals to me and what grabs my attention, to see how I can either mimic those efforts or go an alternate route.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #11

I used to be on the ball and interested in marketing, having a good handle of the needs for twitter and facebook. I burned out pretty hard on it, and haven’t really recovered. It’s kind of why my strategy is to bring people into the Flagon production so we can a) inspire each other to create, and b) encourage/hold accountable. And having a “team” with different voices is a lot more interesting to me than just a one-man team doing everything.

(Kyla) #12

I guess I’m probably best at social media, specifically instagram? and maybe like coming up with press junket stuff, even though I haven’t done anything past brainstorming for that one. we just haven’t… done much… I gotta get on this

(Jonathan Kaplan) #13

I completely suck at ‘marketing’ my show. It just means we have a tougher road to travel. I dont think people are just going to like our show for no reason. In this pocket of time where everyone in the world is flooding the internet with ‘content’, we have to accept it and earn fans little by little. I find a lot of promotion just pandering and fake, and that’s OK. We aren’t interested in it. We are just working on making the best thing we possibly can, and looking to add someone to our team to help with this when we meet them.

(Marina Tait) #14

I like what Jonathan Kaplan said - I’m in that boat too. We don’t know what we’re doing! Both I and Stephen (director, writer) are pretty good at writing, and the saving grace for our show is that we have really good, weird, intriguing images that catch the eye and make people want to learn more. Hence, we have focused a lot on Instagram. Yet we still don’t have many followers. I keep thinking they will find us, eventually.
Oh, and the film festival thing is working out pretty well, we just got into our second fest: Hollywood Comedy Shorts, and hopefully that will lead to more people discovering us.
As Jonathan said above: “We are just working on making the best thing we possibly can.”