The Reason Nobody Wants To Watch Your Web Series: Part 1

For the first installment of this series we take a look at the natural distribution networks we create through our social connections and within communities.

Read up as we’ll discuss these points on #WebSeriesChat tomorrow on Twitter!

3 Likes

Where do you find these communities, online especially? I feel like Reddit is impossible to penetrate and I dunno if Twitter even has these?

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking a lot about this question…especially since I come from the literary fiction world where almost always your readers are your fellow writers because what you create doesn’t always have the option for a wide readership because of how it gets distributed, how many people it appeals to (etc, etc).

It would be good to delineate between the kind of community you find here (other creators) and the community you find in other places (active viewers without a stake in producing something similar). In my view, you probably need both in order to “break through.”

The web-series-making community has been supportive of plenty of new series since I’ve been hanging around these forums and twitter, but support among your peers is important for the professional benefit it provides. It doesn’t always mean eyeballs and the kind of snowball viewership building effect Erik describes in his post above.

Your community of viewers who may find your series exciting is probably more related to the subject of your series than to the community of people making other series…if that makes sense.

So, as an example, a friend of mine is active in a sci-fi reddit…I’m not sure which one anymore, but when she posted about our series in there, our views spiked because it was a community recommendation to viewers who would be interested in the subject matter and not just the idea of web series in general.

4 Likes

I feel like I’m finally breaking ground on this and everything you’re saying makes sense. I’m a little late to the game, but better late than never.

3 Likes

Very little if any of this was intuitive to me at the beginning. These concepts have all been born out of countless interviews with creators, watching shows and being part of the community for the last several years. It definitely takes time to see the big picture.

2 Likes

The google, and the Facebook. There are still plenty of message boards, and Facebook groups out there - of course it depends on the type of community and how much effort you put into finding them. The bigger challenge, IMO, often is being able to define the right communities to connect with.

1 Like

One of the premises of this series is that you need to consider all 15 reasons. You have to connect with topical communities, you have to connect with your creative community, you have to connect with influencers and your series still needs to maintain some level of mainstream appeal.

I’ve heard of successful creators telling their doctors about the show, handing out business cards to people they talk to at starbucks. It’s about not leaving anyone on the table. Tell your co-workers, tell your barista, tell everyone even if you don’t think they’ll care because you don’t have the reach of a big budget show and you know what, maybe they will like it.

1 Like

Our show about two people in therapy has been sent to all cast/crew members therapists lol. One of them is now a big fan

2 Likes

I don’t have a therapist (yet) but one of my best friends is a psychiatrist. I’ll send it to him and see if he watches it. His dvd player is broke so he just might. That’s also a good segue into next week’s article as well, lol

1 Like

hahaha awesome.

I imagine that these days its getting more and more difficult to join communities on places like twitter or FB - not impossible, just more difficult. I believe a lot of that stems from the increasing toxicity of these services and their unwillingness to moderate in any capacity. What that has done is make people a lot less receptive and trusting, which means approaching communities more genuinely and not actively trying to “sell the goods.”

Would that we all went back to using web forums like we do here. Used to be all we had back in my days on the early internet. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes