Venue for Premiere Party

(Sophia Gutchinov) #1

Do you know any bars or venues that offer a projector to do a screening, that aren’t insanely expensive? My partner and I are about to be done editing the first season of our web series, How to New York, and want to host a screening party next month. We contacted this bar I was referred to but required us to have at least $1K in sales for the 2 hour time frame.

2 Likes
(Bri Castellini) #2

@Frankvleone @Pablo @jonathankyall @mdec24 @poolwebseries @dontsuckseries @avincie @tastewithkevin

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

Hi Sophia,
I recently researched a venue for my premiere and peerspace.com was pretty helpful to find more affordable places. I hope this helps.

1 Like
(Jonathan Kaplan) #4

Ultimately your screening is the same as booking a private party at a venue. We’ve done 3 screenings in NYC, Pittsburgh and Boston, at 2 theaters and one now out of business space that was dedicated to screening things. Each of them was a contracted rental of the space. You gotta do what you gotta do. At least making an agreement with a place guarantees you that you get what you ask for.

1 Like
(Arthur Vincie) #5

Local 61 in Brooklyn wasn’t terrible price-wise - when I talked to them it wasn’t very expensive. You kind of have to DIY the space a little - it’s upstairs from the bar. They have a projector and speakers, and a ton of folding chairs and tables. They were really lovely to work with. I did a cast/crew screening of “Three Trembling Cities” there - and met Ajay!!! - and set up a drink ticket/food arrangement with them (they gave me a roll of tickets, I could break off to give to whoever showed up, and they could redeem them for drinks and stuff that would then go on my bill). They know they’re going to make their $$ on the drinks and food.

The projection and sound quality was fine and I brought a super-long 1/8" sound cable and adapters to run from the sound board in the back to the speakers in the front. They have connections for HDMI and mini-display port. (This was in early 2017, they may have changed their setup a bit).

It’s always worth checking in with:Anthology Film Archives. They have two theaters for rent, and can screen almost any format.
http://anthologyfilmarchives.org/film_screenings/theater-rental

They’re more expensive but the theaters are really nice and so is the sound and projection system. If you expect a big crowd it might be worth checking out.

If I can think of other spaces I’ll let you know. Depending on the subject matter of the series, you may be able to get some space from an organization.

Good luck!

1 Like
(Carlo Delmar) #6

There is a venue in Brooklyn called 3 Dollar Bill. The Tromadance Film Festival took place there in June. The image and sound quality were fine. They showed the movies on a huge flat screen TV on the stage. The audience sat in folding chairs. There is a well stocked bar, and there is a courtyard in the back with tables and chairs and a kitchen that serves mostly Mexican food.

The Producers’ Club in Manhattan has small screening rooms.

I would also recommend the Videology Bar & Cinema in Brooklyn, but, sadly, they closed last year. (I saw the documentary Ghostheads there.)

If you want a larger, proper screening room, the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens has one. So does the Roxy Cinema in Manhattan.

Additional Manhattan venues include Cinema Village, SoHo Playhouse, Cinepolis Chelsea, Rubin Museum of Art and Caveat. Arthur already mentioned the Anthology Film Archives.

Additional Brooklyn venues are Littlefield, Spectacle Theater, and the Wythe Hotel Screening Room.

1 Like