VIDEO: 6 Ways To Improve Your Filmmaker Bio And Get The Attention Of Distribs

I kinda get heated a bit here. I’m trying to keep my cool, but nothing makes me more frustrated than when I see a bio from a filmmaker that makes that person sound like they’re running for the Nobel Prize and that they can shoot rainbows out of their ass. It’s even more frustrating to have seen so many just like this (I mean a ton).

***Click play button to watch video10851990_1592752976hNq1-How-Yo-Write-A-Bio-Button.jpg

I don’t know if there is some school teaching this puffery, but as someone who hires a lot of directors, writer, producers, DPs, etc., I see my fair share of bios and the majority have many of the same things in common that make it virtually impossible to hire that person. That’s why I had to make this video. Seriously, after I read this particular filmmaker’s bio, I got so aggravated I just had to sit down and vent.

In this video I cover the down-and-dirty do’s and don’ts of writing a bio and show you how to write one that gets the attention of distributor, execs and producers. By the end, you’ll be able to write a bio for your portfolio site or cover letter that puts you in a position to be taken seriously by the people who can have real impact on your career… the ones known as “decision makers”.

So, watch the video and I’d love to hear whether you think your bio is effective or needs some love. Leave a comment. I’d love to hear what your experience has been.

2 Likes

Consistently what holds me back are that I don’t know how to describe my work succinctly. The closest I’ve ever gotten: “dramedy that errs on the side of comedy, taking absurd and sometimes supernatural themes and putting unimpressed female protagonists at the center.”

Also, the bios I use are almost exclusively for marketing purposes when I’m speaking at an event or a project is featured at a festival, so there isn’t really a specific audience beyond “is an expert in the field she’s speaking about” and “is a filmmaker.” I’m definitely guilty of the “award-winning” tag, and the list of current jobs (I have 3 right now) reading as more of a resume than a snapshot into what I care about.

Thanks for this! I’m gonna do some thinking now :slight_smile:

Bri Castellini is a comedic writer/director based in Brooklyn, NY. She has an MFA in Writing and Producing for Television and a BA in Creative Writing, and by day, she’s the Film Community Manager for Seed&Spark and an adjunct professor for LIU-Brooklyn and Stephens College. She has been described by collaborators as a “human bulldozer” and is honestly kind of flattered.

1 Like

@Alex_LeMay Can you share your bio, or a recent version of it?

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t see this. Do you want it at bottom posts or send it to you personally. Hope you’re well and safe.

1 Like

I bet a lot of people would benefit from seeing it here, if you’re willing!

1 Like

Putting it on all post moving forward. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like