Vimeo pivots: focuses on professional video makers, stops focusing on distribution

(Bri Castellini) #1

Excerpt:

Vimeo is mostly going after professional creators, but is also targeting brands, agencies and small to mid-size businesses, given how much social media creation has become a vital part of marketing efforts across industries.

The back story: Vimeo says it has been trying to pull back from being a video viewing destination for the past year by no longer investing in original content. Instead, it wants to fill the vacancy being left by large video platforms in the realm of creator tools.

Not that many of us used Vimeo anyways, but this pivot away from people like us is frustrating given that most distribution platforms have ALREADY pivoted away from people like us, they just don’t have the balls to write a press release out of it. Thoughts?

@gmcalpin @movieguyjon @SnobbyRobot @alwaysafilmgeek @SecretLivesPS @OSTSG @Monica_West @Monica_Quinn

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #2

Hmm. I see why they’re doing it, but does this mean the videos on there now will no longer exist at some point?

It seems like eventually every site will screw us. Us being independent creators.

:disappointed_relieved:

(Bri Castellini) #3

Yeah that’s kinda my concern too. I think they’ll always have a distribution arm, but this pivot seems to be saying that it’s no longer the company’s focus so there’ll be less distribution features built and less emphasis on Staff Picks more than likely

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

I’m also thinking their paid platform like Vimeo PRO and PLUS wasn’t bringing enough profits for them.

(Bri Castellini) #5

Probably not, because it’s fucking EXPENSIVE for the people who would actually benefit from it long-term.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

Yup. I looked at it once and thought HELLL NOOOO.

(Bri Castellini) #7

When YouTube is free to do like 80% of the same things, it’s not a competitive offering.

(Erik Urtz) #8

Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the opposite. Vimeo started out being the filmmaker friendly alternative to YouTube, but their business has always been making money off of creators, rather than making money FOR creators. This seems like a logical next step, since us small fishes don’t have enough money to make it worthwhile. Focusing on brands and larger creators is a way for them to take their current model a little higher up the food chain.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #9

We use vimeo for work as a means to showcase our content privately to clients as well as publicly embed finished videos on our site. The toolset and cost is perfect for our company, but as a webseries creator Vimeo has nothing for me. What makes that frustrating is that it’s a better and more stable software.

(Emma Drewry) #10

This is definitely how I’ve seen it used primarily-- I’m in film school atm & working in the industry and the only two uses I’ve seen are to link pieces for school or portfolios and password lock them (I’m not sure if USC students are even allowed to post videos made for class online without a password since USC owns the videos and our deal with SAG is pretty strict), and on the business side, pitches and pilots that can’t be public yet.
I have a feeling a lot of my friends who are more traditional film students (I lean academic) aren’t going to be happy

(Amen J.) #11

On the other hand, another opportunity for Stareable to step in and change the face of the game?

(Bri Castellini) #12

Well we’re not (and don’t plan to become) a hosting platform, so if their hosting/distribution arm slips for indie folks, that’s not exactly something we can help with. But YouTube as a base hosting platform is fine honestly- Stareable pages help after you’ve decided on a distro option- we’re on the audience building train.