Violences in a web series on youtube

(Ian David Diaz) #1

Can anyone help me answer this question? What’s the score with violence in a web series on youtube? Do you have to tick the Age-restricted square which could mean fewer views, will it be not suitable for most advertisers? I’ve noticed on my other channel, even though I have a crap load of subscribers if I put up a clip with anyone getting shot it get flags for not suitable for most advertisers. In some cases, it could be someone getting punched and it gets flagged.

I watched a clip from the Punisher the other day on youtube lots of people getting shot yet the clips had an ad. Is this why there so many comedy web series on youtube?

I have a new web series coming out soon and it does having people getting shot, I was just wondering.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help.

(Bri Castellini) #2

@movieguyjon @hermdelica @ronVceo @ZackMorrison18?

Here’s the YouTube guidelines:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278

Violence: Video content where the focal point is on blood, violence, or injury, when presented without additional context, is not suitable for advertising. Violence in the normal course of video gameplay is generally acceptable for advertising, but montages where gratuitous violence is the focal point is not. If you’re showing violent content in a news, educational, artistic, or documentary context, that additional context is important.

First of all, I’ll say that unless you meet the new harder guidelines for YouTube Partner, you won’t have to worry about advertising at all.

Second, since your show is contextually violent/ an action series, it MIGHT be a little more leniently judged. Although for smaller channels especially that might not be true. YouTube’s kind of all over the place these days

Third, re:

There are a few reasons, in my opinion, why people do comedy:

1. Comedy is considered easier. You don’t have to go as “deep” in the writing and the set ups tend to be simpler- a few basic over-over shots for funny conversation, as opposed to more ambitious shots that feel at home in a drama or an action series.
  2. As an offshoot, comedy is also a more forgiving genre, from a writing AND production standpoint. Audiences expect less of an indie comedy versus an indie drama, so if your sound is a bit off or your camera work isn’t stellar, it’s less of a dealbreaker, which is useful for filmmakers just starting out.
  3. Comedy, in general, is more frequently sought out by audiences, especially online ones. Plus, since most indie series aren’t discovered linearly, dramas are harder for audiences to latch onto if they happen upon a midseason episode, whereas a comedy tends to be easier to understand out of context.

(Ollie R) #3

Was the punisher clip you watched from the Netflix official channel? Because sometimes preferred channels/ big companies can get away with more since YouTube trusts them and wants the ad $$ that comes from them posting videos on Youtube

(Ian David Diaz) #4

Thanks, Bri, this helps, it’s a bit too late for me as I’ve shot most of my Web series and it does have some shooting in it, it’s not overly violent, kind of James Bond, Roger Moore violent, I’m constantly learning, I think I’ll have a tone down version on Youtube and a full version on Vimeo or another platform. Yes comedy is easier with its one-room scenarios and peoples unlit living rooms, but I just didn’t want to do that, I wanted to shoot properly and treat this like shooting a real TV show, There are ways of getting quality shots in a low budget scenario. I’m a filmmaker and a storyteller and didn’t want to have my web series looking cheap - even though it is low budget. Anyway, my 30-second teaser trailer will be out soon and everyone will get an idea of the tone of my show. The odds are against me and everyone who makes a web series but who cares I love making my web series and I know others only do it for the love of it too. Good enough reason right? Onwards!

(Ian David Diaz) #5

Yes, it was a Netflix clip. I guess your right, one rule for people that brings in the money and another for the tiny people. :slight_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #6

On a business-level that makes sense, though. Netflix is a guaranteed view generator, and they also have their own restrictions for content so YouTube is basically guaranteed to not need to double check every upload, so it’s more efficient to just let them do their own thing.

Also, larger companies like Netflix or networks who post clips of their late night shows often sell their OWN ads, bypassing YouTube’s advertiser-friendly algorithm entirely, so those advertisers KNOW what they’re buying. They weren’t randomly paired.

Here’s a great video about YouTube ads, actually:

(Jonathan Hardesty) #7

Everything mentioned so far is accurate, but I would largely pay attention to the note @Bri_Castellini mentioned about the newer guidelines for partnerships. Unless you are partner status there’s nothing to worry about as you have no potential to benefit from ads and in turn they can’t really dictate the violence in your story. And since YT is wishy-washy on what’s not acceptable (they want to leave it vague so they don’t have to ban their moneymakers) just go with it. If youtube takes you down, you can get some free press out of that, and just take your content elsewhere like Seeka or something like that.

(Bri Castellini) #8

Yes! While I still recommend, if possible, people upload their series to YouTube (just because of audience habits and it being the king of streaming video whether we like it or not), I also highly recommend checking out alternate distribution opportunities.

(remember to check out my distribution article for ideas about this!)

(Ian David Diaz) #9

Thanks, Bri, you’re always helpful.

(Kallum Weyman) #10

As long as your not lobbing limbs off with fountains of blood, you should be fine.

(Ian David Diaz) #11

Thanks Kallum Weyman.

(Ian David Diaz) #12

By the way guys I will be screening my 30-second teaser trailer, on 2nd February 2018. Rebecca Gold is my five-part web series. Will put up a link, Bri where can I post such a link, or is it not allowed?

(Bri Castellini) #13

Post it on Friday in our shameless self promo thread!

(Ian David Diaz) #14

Okay.

(Darek Kowal) #15

We have never had an issue, except when trying to create ads.

The trick is … keep the violence out of the first 15-30 seconds of the ad you’re creating and you won’t get denied.

Otherwise, we did whatever we wanted without quesition.

(Bri Castellini) #16

That’s good to know about the first 15-30 seconds because we had that problem too. Could never make YouTube ads for Brains… we wanted ours to be shorter than 30 seconds though. Short and snappy.

(Ian David Diaz) #17

I don’t understand when you say ads, do you mean trailer?

(Darek Kowal) #18

You can create ads on YouTube to try and get people to come to your channel. But they can’t contain “sensitive material” like blood, violence, language, etc.

(Ian David Diaz) #19

Okay, what ad? You mean like a teaser trailer?

(Bri Castellini) #20

Paying YouTube to use your video as an advertisement, like any other pre-roll ad you might see. He’s talking about paying YouTube to put a video you cut together to advertise your channel or series on other videos as an advertisement.