Web Series World News: The Android Apocalypse

(Stareable) #1

Welcome to Web Series World News, where we as a community discuss current events in the digital and TV worlds! Today’s topic:

The Android Apocalypse

Tokyo is now the first place in the world to employ a robot news anchor, Erica Aoi. There’s not much else to say but please read the linked article and rate your fear about the upcoming robot apocalypse on a scale from “there’s no way we can create truly sentient life” to “it’s already happened but our hubris has kept us from noticing.”

nippontv-ericaaoi-2018

Also, based on the way in which the robot anchor was developed (from the article- acquiring exquisite Japanese language skills, multilingual communication with people around the world, collecting and analyzing vast amounts of information within a short timeframe, and working nonstop for 24 hours), what would you have an android crew member do for your film projects?

(Bri Castellini) #2

I’d love an android to help with scheduling and finding possible shooting locations and mom-and-pop restaurants we could reach out to for free catering. Most of that is pretty much just a research and info-collecting slog and working nonstop for 24 hours seems like an efficient way to take care of that kind of stuff.

Rating my fear:

“the AI-pocalypse will occur within the next ten years and sometimes I think we might be better off”

(Bri Castellini) #3

@SnobbyRobot @SecretLivesPS @FilmFaction @filmwritr4 @movieguyjon @Jessi_Almstead @whoisjonporter @JonSosis @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @mdec24 @kmd @floorthirteen @OddLantern @dj_tilney @Halen_Williamson @mkatiehunter @rjlackie @barbaramcthomas @Joseph_Brett @JustinHarris @RobbieRuviews @w-e-spear @spatulawilwheat @gmcalpin @Shinsuke_Fusushi @Deliver_Me_show @alwaysafilmgeek @Ayelette @raggedybun @movieguyjon

(Ray Robinson) #4

I, for one, welcome our new robotic PAs.

(Someone had to say it)

In reality, we already have devices that do much of what a robot can do, but humans are still needed to apply instinct to what is needed. I find the idea unnecessary in this field.

(Robbie Ru) #5

There’s a certain artistry that I don’t think androids can replicate. Some of these happy accidents would never occur. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see robot focus pullers, dolly pushers, etc.

(William E. Spear) #6

Tough question. Maybe setting and striking a set. Or figuring whay I can’t get sound through a microphone.

(Bri Castellini) #7

& @w-e-spear you gotta rate your fear about the upcoming apocalypse still! :joy:

(William E. Spear) #8

My day job brings me into regular contact androids of varying capacities. Started with automated automotive manufacturing and proceeded to the aforementioned android news reader. What scares me is AI steering and guiding computer systems we take for granted. Wicked frightening stuff.

(Robbie Ru) #9

Hahaha. I don’t think it’ll happen for a number of years but it’s inevitable and we will pay.

(Melissa Malone) #10

I’d LOVE an android crew member to do my emailing, social media and scheduling!

Rating my fear:
I’ve wanted to be Sarah Connor from a very young age… but when push comes to shove I imagine there would be a lot of crying…? :wink:

(Emma Drewry) #11

If I could have an android do scheduling/breakdowns, I would be so happy. It’s consuming my life. I also definitely wouldn’t mind some android PAs!

Also, definitely think android sentience is inevitable. AI is coming. Not sure if I’m scared though~