Web Series World News: Twitch Taking Over?

(Stareable) #1

Welcome to Web Series World News, where we as a community discuss current events in the digital and TV worlds! Today’s topic:

Is Twitch a better ecosystem for digital creators than YouTube?

There’s a Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood binge-watch happening exclusively on Twitch today, marking a significant milestone in the platform’s pivot from simply being millions of video game streams. However, those video game streams cannot go ignored, because according to Engadget, “Twitch streamers are raking in far more money than folks on YouTube Gaming, at least when it comes to live content.” This is important because as Twitch’s monetization strategy strengthens, so does its draw to content creators (especially smaller ones) who are struggling in the bureaucracy and apathy of YouTube.

combologo_474x356

Perhaps Twitch, a live-streaming app, isn’t the right place for indie film content right now, but with its recent influx of TV marathons (ie- content that was made prior to being streamed), might it be soon? And in the meantime…

How can filmmakers utilize live-streaming and Twitch’s superior payment model to fund their filmmaking work? Or is there an opportunity for live-streamed, scripted narrative content? Discuss!

(Bri Castellini) #2

@SnobbyRobot @SecretLivesPS @FilmFaction @filmwritr4 @movieguyjon @Jessi_Almstead @whoisjonporter @JonSosis @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @mdec24 @kmd @floorthirteen @OddLantern @dj_tilney @Halen_Williamson @mkatiehunter @rjlackie @barbaramcthomas @Joseph_Brett @JustinHarris @RobbieRuviews @w-e-spear @spatulawilwheat

(William E. Spear) #3

Does anyone have any experience with Twitch that might share same?

(Bri Castellini) #4

I would have said @movieguyjon but he and his wife just had a baby so I doubt he’ll be online today :joy:

(William E. Spear) #5

Understood and please offer congratulations should you speak with him.

(Amen J.) #6

I think live streaming is best for events and experiences…for example, like sports. Maybe filmmakers could use it for launch parties? I’ve never used it, so I may be completely off the mark here. Or I’m sure the live streaming element could be used for some cool footage for documentary or narrative film. Or perhaps a talk show?

(Robbie Ru) #7

This is really interesting, but I’m not sure how filmmakers could leverage this effectively.

I’m thinking big names like Film Riot, D4Darius and Peter McKinninon could make a killing with some live stream, behind the scenes type stuff, but for the rest of us, I can’t see it being extremely beneficial.

I am very excited for the prospect though and will be keeping my eye on this. Great thread!!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #8

Hi! Yes! Tired father of (now) two daughters here with thoughts on TWITCH. Despite some significant jank, I actually love Twitch. The interface is obtuse, and there’s not a great way to tell if everything works until you’re already streaming to an audience, but it’s a service divorced from the YouTube and FB ecosystems, which wins many points for me.

There are apps for Twitch on most set top boxes, which means it’s playing against the big boys of Netflix, YT, Hulu, etc. Since they are owned by Amazon, you can use your Prime subscription to subscribe to one channel every month at no cost to you, and that channel gets the monetary benefit of your subscription for that month.

Monetization is not great, however, and it requires a LOT of work - probably more so than YT or FB in terms of man-hours spent. You don’t get partner status until a certain concurrent viewership and follow, but they’re pretty nebulous with the specifics.

Hope this helps!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #9

I just made a login on Twitch and it definitely looks promising. The interface might take some getting used to, but it’s definitely a place where people are looking to watch stuff they like 24/7. I myself have been looking for a way to offer my audience live content more frequently. Perhaps a live talk show format offering BTS content?

In addition to this, I spend a lot of time playing video games and it makes me feel dumb that people are making money with that time but I haven’t. D’oh!

(Bri Castellini) #10

Love this! Also pledge drives for crowdfunding campaigns- much more effective than YT live for easier payment/tipping integration perhaps?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

So I have a friend who does exactly this for his show. Jeff does Super Geeked Up, a weekly live talk show where he has web series guests and promotes his show and talks about geeky pop culture. I’m trying to get him to make a login and add his web series to Stareable. He could probably provide more insight.

(Bri Castellini) #12

Would love to hear from him!