#WebSeriesChat Recap June 14th, 2017

(Bri Castellini) #1

#What is a story? What is a plot?

#Bonus mid-chat new topic:

#So what do you think? What constitutes a web series? Do the semantics matter, or are we all in this together? Let us know below!

Is the new Star Trek a web series?
(Bri Castellini) #2

I really like the way @mkatiehunter broke it down:

1. Cable
  2. Network
  3. Paid Subscription Streaming (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube Red)
  4. Web Series (Unpaid YouTube, Vimeo, SeekaTV, etc)
3 Likes
(Katie Adele Nazim Hunter) #3

Thanks girl :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Bri Castellini) #4

I think that’s a smart way of categorizing it! Because web series is about as descriptive as “cable show”, so why get bogged down in genre details? It also differentiates better between web series and paid streaming services- yes they’re both on the web, but they are also distinct in really important ways.

1 Like
(Katie Adele Nazim Hunter) #5

I’ll post this here too – in talking about genre I highly recommend reading some Rick Altman. Good choices would be “Film/Genre” if you wanna read a whole book, “A Semantic/Syntactic Approach to Film Genre” or “Where Do Genres Come From?” if you wanna read just an essay,

1 Like
(Dan Speerin) #6

In Canada, things get a little more complicated when it comes to projects that are made by the CBC and Bell or those financed by large funds but still live directly on YouTube. It’s not living behind a paywall but also comes with “old media” tv backing/funding. Carmilla being another example by being a fully branded series via KindaTV aka Shaftesbury. They’re definitely all “web series” though. Today’s chat was interesting to me because up here it’s less of a debate in 2017 than it was when the IWCC began in 2013. The debate here is definitely more around independent versus… but interesting to see everybody’s viewpoint.

1 Like