What are some festivals you think are worth it?

(History Web Series) #22

So Film Freeway lets you make your own laurels on some of the festivals, so if you get into one of those…I mean there’s nothing stopping you from making other laurels (for things that you won, I’m not encouraging fraud) and then you can get transparent. Just something I’m doing to get around this. Again, for stuff I’ve won, never fraud. :slight_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #23

Seconded! Actually, @Monica_West had me help her out recently with a similar problem. The Indie Series Awards don’t make laurels at all, so I had to design her some from scratch when she won:

(History Web Series) #24

Indies Series Awards…I give that one side eye as well for entirely personal reasons that I know no one else will share (not taking away from Monica’s win, congrats!!!).

(Bri Castellini) #25

lol. It’s really bizarre they don’t have laurels, though. Like… do festivals not know what we do with the information that we’re a selection/winner of theirs?? C’mon.

(History Web Series) #26

Sometimes as institutions get bigger their purpose becomes less about the audience they cater to and more about their own perpetuation and profit. ::sips tea::

(Bri Castellini) #27

What is your series? You should introduce yourself! There’s a whole intro thread going on in this post:

(Monica West) #28

Couldn’t agree more with @Pablo about BK Web Fest – it’s the best web festival I’ve attended with Best Thing You’ll Ever Do. The 2016 development/production panelists included heads at IFC, Comedy Central, TubiTv, Wolf Video, etc and they were all encouraging of and interested in the creators at the festival. We met Sam Gutelle and Roger Newcomb at the PR panel and both became early supporters on our series.

A close second is Seattle Web Fest – their pitch panel was excellent and I had to opportunity to meet Julie Keck, Director of Media at Seed&Spark – a streaming platform which offered us a nice distribution opportunity. Starting May 26th, season one of Best Thing You’ll Ever Do will be available on Seed&Spark. We’re excited!

(Amen J.) #29

Wow, thank you all for the heads up re: Web Fest New York…I will definitely be staying away from them!

(Bri Castellini) #30

The name sounds legit but the actual festival is :-1:

(Herman Wang) #31

Not to be confused with NYC Web Fest though, which I believe is on the up-and-up. The poor naming choice is another mark against Web Fest New York.

(Bri Castellini) #32

I think it’s actually pretty ingenious of a fraudulent festival to call themselves something that sounds so close to an actual festival! It sounds really legit, and their laurels look pretty nice too. All a smoke screen!

(Melissa Malone) #33

Hi guys! Melissa from Or So the Story Goes (OSTSG) here. :slight_smile: We can’t say enough amazing things about Vancouver Web Fest. We have attended for the past two years and will gladly go again if our new season is chosen as an official selection. We are based in NYC so while it’s a hike for us, we still find it so worth it!

It’s insanely well organized, with great panels, pitch sessions and a very classy awards ceremony! Additionally, the folks that run the event are among some of the nicest, most fantastic people we have met! 100% recommended!

(Melissa Malone) #34

Just saw NYC Web Fest submission fee is $75- $95??! That seems steeped compared to basically ALL other web fests, right?

(Bri Castellini) #35

Yeah man some of these fees are crazy. We’re web series people!! That’s like half our production budget!!

(Melissa Malone) #36

I was actually shocked! Generally there’s at least a semi-affordable fee if you get in during the early bird time frame but looks like NYC Web Fest doesn’t even HAVE an early bird time frame! Disappointing!

(Maurice Tyson) #37

Let me just say I don’t see the advantage of entering a film festival with a micro budget and the thing you want to do most is find out if this is a legit competition & a good fit for your project!

(Gabriel Crutchfield) #38

The Knoxville Film Festival started a webseries block last year and it’s returning again this year. We premiered there last year and I think the festival itself is in its 14th year.

(Bri Castellini) #39

Did you have a good experience there?

(Gabriel Crutchfield) #40

I did. I was already familiar with the festival, it being local to me and all, but them adding a webseries block coincided with my release schedule so we used it for a local premiere. I’m usually in attendance anyways. With it being the first year, only about 4 webseries got submitted, 3 from here in TN (Who Is Jon Porter?, State of Franklin, and Bounty Momma) and one from New York (Sliced). I would expect there to be a few more entries this year.

(Arthur Vincie) #41

I just came back from TO Webfest and my mind has been blown. The organizers are the coolest folks, and the festival is well-run and the whole vibe is extremely friendly and supportive. Also got to meet Herman in person!