What do I do with just a script?

(Blair Hunter) #1

I’ve been busting my butt trying to finish a web series but it always falls apart at some point- three times now!! IT’s just so hard with no money and barely anyone on board. So I have all these scripts but don’t really know what to do with them… I want to see them made but I might not have what I need right not to make them and it feels like a waste to keep writing and saving things and then doing nothing with them.

So… what can ya do with a web series script? Or several?

(Bri Castellini) #2

I’m gonna be real honest… I have no idea. For me, I store them away until I meet the right combo of people and haven’t asked for a favor in a while haha. When it comes to pitching, :woman_shrugging: I think @Monica_West is answering your question about brands in another thread, but @Alex_LeMay can offer sage advice re:pitching (and has already at #Film-School:lemay-makes-a-series!)

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

@Blair I know the feeling. What is within your skillset? Could you do a graphic novel or a sizzle reel to create buzz? I have some web series scripts I’d like to develop but don’t have the funds and I plan to do 1 of those 2 things with it.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #4

Goodness, I have a bunch of those that can’t get made for some reason or another. I’m always trying to adapt the broad ideas into a different format. One example of this is that a few of my stories I can’t get made have been fused into a D&D campaign I run. It’s not a show or anything, but it’s technically for an audience and it is a form of storytelling. I can always come back to them later or re-purpose them as I see fit.

Frankly, I think having a giant pool of stuff you’ve created is great because you can always frankenstein them into new things.

(Meg Carroway) #5

Keep them for your portfolio! Or better yet… submit to contests and film festivals with screenplay sections! Sometimes you’ll get cash to help you make the thing, sometimes you’ll get connected with people who would want to make it with/for you. DEFINITELY submit them if you think they’re good!

(Bri Castellini) #6

This!! Actually, when I wrote my short film, I had no hopes of producing it, but on a whim (and because I had a discount) I submitted it to a random film festival, and it was selected as one of the best short film scripts! After I posted that on social media, there was immediate interest in helping me make it, even for free. So getting some credibility for your scripts before pre-production might be a great way to generate interest in making it! Something to think about