What got you into web series?

(Emma Drewry) #1

This may have been asked before, but if so, I can’t find it. I wanna know-- how did y’all get into web series?

(Ian David Diaz) #2

With my series Rebecca Gold, it was a no-brainer. After making independent features for most of my career, getting ripped off by distributors and not being part of the privileged crowd in the UK this seemed like the next step to take. Whatever you do when it comes to making Films, TV shows or a web series it’s always going to be a crapshoot.

It has done reasonably well, over a thousand views per episode, (only 5 Eps), considering my social media circle is rather small and it’s won some awards too.

Anyway, you can find my Web series here:

(Herman Wang) #3

I’d been doing music videos and shorts previously, and a web series for me was an opportunity to do a longer-form story without the same kind of workflow as a feature-length film.

In the end, we essentially took 4 years to create a two-hour story, but it was more enjoyable releasing it piecemeal than an “all at once” approach would have been.

(Bri Castellini) #4

I was a casual fan of a few web series before grad school, and when reading my grad school class list for my two year program, I saw that in my second semester we’d be actually making a web series pilot. So because I’m insane, I wrote a whole season a semester early, then found I enjoyed the actual act of filmmaking so much I couldn’t stop. I’d never made an actual film project before, had never been on a set. Now four years later I’m actually teaching that same web series class at my old grad program! Life’s funny.

(Bri Castellini) #5

@CommunityMVPs

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

When I was trying to gain experience on set, I felt like a lot of it was based on luck. Lucky to be chosen, hired etc. My gigs were few and far between. By making my own project I could teach myself the things I wanted to learn much quicker and on my own terms. I immediately knew I wanted to make a web series because I was writing about my life and it’s easier to squeeze real events in an episodic format. It worked out pretty well!

(Herman Wang) #7

It was totally a de facto film school for me

(Emma Drewry) #8

what about what got y’all into watching web series? seems like we all have pretty similar stories on how we got into production :sweat_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #9

I was big into YouTube in the golden age of vlogging- went to the first ever VidCon as a high school graduation present to myself, as an example. So when Hank Green mentioned he was producing a pride and prejudice web series in vlogger format it was literally like it was designed for me (and knowing Bernie, it was. Well, it was for my audience segment that is).

Technically I’d seen other web series before but most didn’t register as A Thing because I just considered it YouTube/ sketches. LBD was the first show I watched and recognized as A Show rather than a YouTube channel of similar content

(Emma Drewry) #10

LBD seems to be a lot of people’s-- working with Pemberley you get a lot of fans of the show saying LBD got them into watching web series, making web series, etc. Even people on the new EA team got into making videos bc of LBD. it blows my mind

(Emma Drewry) #11

(i was 14 when it came out and not really allowed on youtube at that point)

(Herman Wang) #12

I was a creator well before I was a watcher. Most of the series I watch are ones I encounter at the various festivals we get into.

(Emma Drewry) #13

oh interesting! do you ever watch just in your free time?

(Herman Wang) #14

I hardly watch anything in my spare time. Maybe an hour a day at most, so I have to pick and choose. Currently working through The Orville Season 1 and Last Week Tonight Season 5.

(Emma Drewry) #15

ooh i see-- i’m so ADHD that i need to be watching something while i work or I can’t focus, so I generally listen to podcasts or watch web series

(Emma Drewry) #16

i love LWT though, you’re in for some good episodes

(Bri Castellini) #17

Ah geez I watch an average of 4-5 hours of content (YouTube, web series, and TV mostly) a day. Weekends that goes even higher

(Emma Drewry) #18

honestly probably the same for me

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #19

When I told people I’m making a web series called Ghetto Nerd Girl, I was immediately compared to Awkward Black Girl. While a great comparison there were many differences I could tell, but I made it a point to watch and became a fan. I started watching other web series after attending screenings in the fest circuit and meeting other creators I liked.

(Emma Drewry) #20

we got this except for d.e.b.s. :sweat_smile: it’s interesting that some people only got into the form after deciding to make one!