What have you watched / listened to / read lately?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #1

I want to get to know you guys a bit more outside of your webseries work so I bring this question to the table:

"WHAT HAVE YOU WATCHED, LISTENED TO, OR READ LATELY?"

I’ll start us off.

• I recently started watching Supergirl, which has three seasons of episodes up on Netflix. Overall really enjoying the cheerful, hopeful take from DC, and everyone onscreen is charismatic as heck.

• Been listening to The Adventure Zone, which itches my D&D/comedy itch and gets me through my slog of a commute.

• Last thing I read was Mordenkeinen’s Tome of Foes because I’m hugely into D&D - if you haven’t already guessed.

(Bri Castellini) #2

Obvi Adventure Zone for me too, but I’ve actually been getting more and more into Not Another DnD Podcast (a Headgum podcast with 4 CollegeHumor alums) because their upload schedule is way more consistent and I’ve been fans of all of the players as comedians for a while. It’s also much more straightforward as a DnD game than TAZ ever was.

Supergirl bugs me because it’s charming and cheerful but it’s also super insecure about it’s own feminism in a lot of ways and they do a lot of forced ships despite the actors/characters having NO chemistry but the show is trying to make a point. I’m like two seasons behind at this point though so :woman_shrugging:

Shows I’ve been watching and loving recently:

• Kim’s Convenience on Netflix
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (5th rewatch) on Amazon Prime

Podcasts I’ve been listening to and loving recently (other than the ones I already mentioned):

• Reply All
  • The Good Place The Podcast
  • Heavyweight

I’ve also been reading Franchesca Ramsay’s book but I haven’t finished it so I want to withhold all true judgement until I’ve done so. I’m also midway through Carrie Fisher’s Postcards From The Edge which I’m LOVING but which is kind of a lot so I have to take lots of breaks.

(Bri Castellini) #3

@CommunityMVPs

(Ron Valderrama) #4

Watching:

• Jack Ryan - Amazon
  • Frasier - Netflix for about the 1000th time
  • Phone Story - Stream Now PRO

Listening:

• Forget The Box - iTunes
  • This American Life - iTunes/NPR
  • The Twenty Minute VC - iTunes
  • Norm Macdonald Live - iTunes
  • This Week In Startups - iTunes
  • Think - NPR

(Bri Castellini) #5

Is Jack Ryan good? I can’t tell from the trailers, but I love action shows AND John Krasinski, but I’ve heard “meh” from critics

(Ron Valderrama) #6

I really like it actually. It says for Mature Audiences but it’s not gratuitous. There is a lot of cursing, violence an nudity but it does not seem overbearing or forced. I only say it that way because I feel like so much content right now seems like the creators use it for attention.

It’s not to say this is some world class show and in some ways is predictable. It’s good in the way it’s serialized with solid actors and of course an ending that always makes you want to watch one more episode.

(Bri Castellini) #7

You’ve convinced me! I’m already on Amazon right now with my Maisel rewatch (cannot recommend that show highly enough) so I’ll add that to my next list! I’m a sucker for the procedural format when done well.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #8

I loved Krasinski in The Quiet Place, and I love that he’s doing Jack Ryan, but it’s one of those situations where I have absolutely no interest in the subject matter or the character itself. Glad to see generally positive reviews though. Not a lot of attention is given to Prime content these days.

(Jonathan Kaplan) #9

I got the filmstruck app, just watched the movie ‘my brilliant career’ from 1979. takes place in victorian australia with a main character who is a super headstrong redhead who can never get what she wants. it was the season finale we should’ve made!

Also loved the movie dogtooth, fuckin brutal, maybe best movie ive ever seen.

loved the new season of orange is the new black, i liked what i saw of sasha baron cohen’s show. havent had time to watch too much tv as i’d like.

I’m listening to the new mr. twin sister tracks, new neko case, new eminem, and lhasa de sela’s live from reykjavik album that came out a year ago.

i listen to alot of stand up comedy too and big jay oakerson’s new crowdwork album is excellent. i also finally got around to colin quinn’s unconstitutional and i do love him.

im reading ‘the worst hard time’ a book about the dust bowl and all the choking fucked up horrible death and destruction that people endured.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #10

I, too, listened to the new Neko Case album. It’s quite excellent, but I’m not sure she puts out anything less than excellent…

(Jonathan Kaplan) #11

my pantheon of women singers is Tori, Mirah, Sade, Bebel Gilberto, Neko and Lhasa

(Ron Valderrama) #12

+1 for Sade. I suggest finding every Sade x MF Doom mashup mix you can find.

(Jonathan Kaplan) #13

whoa, you just opened up a new neural pathway. i never knew about this

(Arthur Vincie) #14

I’m loving “Killjoys” right now. The first 3 seasons should be on Netflix or Prime. At first it seemed like a glossier “Firefly” knockoff with a (not a bad thing but not necessarily all that original). But it’s much more interesting than that. The world they’ve created is more diverse (many of the characters are queer and/or POC), the trad gender roles are flipped with the main characters, and the writing is really sharp. Flips nicely between ass-kicking and tenderness. Created by Michelle Lovretta, who also did “Lost Girl.”

Listening to Linoleum Knife - Dave White and Alonso Duralde are film critics who are “married to the cinema and each other.” It feels like you’re in their living room with them chatting about everything, and eventually they get around to talking about the film reviews.

Reading “Perception Of The Environment,” a book by an anthropologist who uses a lot of postmodern theory to re-examine a lot of assumptions that anthropologists have, and also approach the field in a more exciting way. It’s hard to summarize but it’s a pretty easy read (the prose is quite beautiful). Also a crapton of news from many sources.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #15

Watching:

• Just marathoned all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
  • I’ve been making my way through the Simpsons. About 2 and a half seasons in.
  • Classic Doctor Who, for fun and a podcast (The Watch-A-Thon of Rassilon).
  • My wife and I just started watching Making It and it’s delightful.
  • Most everything else I’m watching is on hiatus like New Doctor Who, The Good Place, BoJack Horseman, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend… I do need to finish watching Luke Cage Season 2, which is good but the pace is so slow.

Listening to: (Note that I’m very behind on all of my podcasts)

• Forget the Box
  • R U Talkin’ REM Re: Me?
  • The Life Toyetic with Ben and Molly
  • Harry Sullivan is an Imbecile
  • The Good Place Podcast

Reading: (My library just increased their graphic novel section, so there’s gonna be a lot of comics)

• Transmetropolitan
  • The Invisibles
  • Akira
  • A few chapters into Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher
  • Reading through the Discworld with my wife, currently in The Light Fantastic.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #16

Great thread topic BTW! Most of my shows are on break but I’ll try to keep it recent.

WATCHING:
The Office (US, for the 2nd time around) I like it so much more now that I’m older.
OITNB
Glow
Handmaid’s Tale
The Bold Type

READING:
Crazy Rich Asians
Sailor Moon manga
#GirlBoss

I’m not really a podcast person. :woman_shrugging:

(Jonathan Hardesty) #17

Haven’t taken the plunge with Classic Who, but I have started watching from 2005 on in preparation for the new season coming out next month.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #18

Have you been listening to any interesting albums recently?

(Herman Wang) #19

I don’t watch a whole lot, because I don’t have a lot of free time.

Mostly the Marvel series on Netflix. I thought Luke Cage S2 was uneven, but watchable. Ditto for Jesica Jones S2.

A while ago I watched Star Trek Discovery and it’s complete garbage. Lazy dilemmas and equally lazy resolutions, inconsistent characterization, and moments that they didn’t properly earn.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #20

Fascinating. You might be the first person I’ve run into who didn’t like Discovery. :smile: