What have you watched / listened to / read lately?

(Herman Wang) #21

I’m a huge Trek fan, but it’s not even that the series doesn’t live up to the Star Trek ethos - it’s just so poorly written.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #22

I’m super excited about 13, though less excited about Chibnall.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #23

Curious, do you think it has something to do with Bryan Fuller’s exit of the show or some other outside factor? I think his involvement was initially why I was interested (as I LOVE his show Hannibal, and Pushing Daisies, and S1 of Dead Like Me), and his exit coupled with the CBS All Access requirement is why I never even gave it a shot.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #24

I’m in a fairly similar boat. Chibnall is an “interesting” choice to showrun the new season, considering he wrote the god-awful episode of Torchwood “Cyberwoman.” That said, I’m excited that he’s not using Cybermen, Daleks, Weeping Angels, or much of the overused staples of the show and giving this new season room to do its own thing. And Jodi Whitaker is such an exciting choice as the new Doctor. Can’t wait to see what energy she brings to it all!

(Bri Castellini) #25

I’ve heard more middling reviews from Star Trek fans than Herman’s, but your potential-interest journey is exactly the same as mine! LOVE Bryan Fuller, grew less interested once he left and especially because I’d need a whole new account.

(Herman Wang) #26

Fuller’s written some of the earlier Trek series’ good episodes, and if he’d stayed the show might have had a chance. I place the blame on Alex Kurtzman, who is a mediocre, paint-by-numbers creator at best.

(Kyla) #27

I’m a little late to the party but!

watching:

• Doctor Strange (just finished)
  • Sierra Burgess is a Loser (just finished)
  • Luke Cage season two
  • Or So The Story Goes: Golden Rule
  • a bunch of Edison/Lumerie/Melies films for class

listening:

• Forget the Box (finally started!!!)
  • this doesn’t count but I’ve been meaning to start listening to Conversations With People Who Hate Me

reading:

• Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre