What have you written press releases about?

(Bri Castellini) #1

Doing a bit of a poll- what do you

A. most commonly write press releases about,
B. what are the most unique reasons you’ve written a press release, and
C. what press releases have been the most successful for you?

Super curious to hear your thoughts!

For me, I mostly write PRs about new seasons/releases, as such those are also my most successful. I guess the most unique reason was when I was announcing new distribution deals, but that’s pretty run of the mill.

(Bri Castellini) #2

@CommunityMVPs

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

I never wrote a press release. Not an official one anyway. I did however write a fancy email to a local newspaper which helped get me featured in an article and become a guest on their podcast. Does that count?

(Bri Castellini) #4

Depends on how fancy the email was! Do you mind sharing, or giving some fancy details?

(Bri Castellini) #5

Also, can I ask why you’ve never written a press release? Is press just not something you’re concerned with/interested in pursuing?

(Amen J.) #6

I wrote a press release to announce the launch and screening of my web series and sent it out to a targeted media list. It was successful - I got front page news coverage from the main newspaper here, The Ottawa Citizen (the reporter also came to the screening), I was on CBC Radio and I got coverage in Metro News, plus other outlets (including Chris Hadley/@SnobbyRobot!) . My original aim was a Toronto Star journalist (which would have been huge, as it has the biggest readership in Canada), but he re-directed it to Metro News (which they own); I guess they felt it was a story more specific to Ottawa.

I seem to recall writing a press release for the crowdfunding campaign, but I don’t think I got any bites out of that and my takeaway from that experience was, “well, duh”. If I put myself into a journalist’s shoes, there’s obviously nothing newsworthy there, especially since I hadn’t raised an exorbitant amount of funds and I’m not a household name.

(Melissa Malone) #7

I feel like half my life is press releases and contact forms. lol However, not usually about anything very unique. Most commonly when a new trailer or season releases. Also, throughout crowdfunding. We found a few of our newest season sponsors that way. We’ve also managed to get some press via local newspapers, podcast interviews, etc. via press releases.

I also like to send press releases out to hometowns of main cast and crew members- even better if you can get a small quote from each cast and crew member so that you have it to include. This reminds me, I need to start doing this for the new season… :rofl:

(Emma Drewry) #8

just our pilot episode thus far-- we’re still pretty small and haven’t started our festival circuit yet. we may do one later for our final episode/if we get into any notable festivals, but atm we’re just audience building!

(Chris Hadley) #9

Just seeing this topic now, but I have written press releases as a way to generate media coverage for my series (The LATE, LATE News). IIRC, the ones I wrote were about the show in general, and it did get some coverage through Tubefilter back in 2014.

It’s been a while since I’ve checked, but I think I also wrote one to promote the season 1 finale. Since it’s been way too long since I’ve released any episodes, I’ve thought about doing an early release of the first 2 that were produced back in 2016. However, I also think it might be best to hold off on a release until every episode is finished for season 2.

I know there’s the blog I write for (Snobby Robot), plus Stareable and several other blogs/podcasts that cover web series, but it seems like you can only count them on one hand. I really hope that there will be more outlets that cover indie web series, since I don’t really think the big publications would be interested in covering anything that’s not studio/network backed, or anything that doesn’t feature a big name star. Just my opinion, though.

(Steve O'Reilly) #10

I wrote a completely “over the top” press release that was picked up by some local ABC channels around the country along with a number of other media outlets promoting my series TEAM MARS (www.teammarstv.com). Here is it:

(Steve O'Reilly) #11

For the record, I also wrote several more conventional press releases, but the more I thought on it, it just felt more fun to push out a silly press release than a run of the mill one – here’s my new web series/ it’s great/ it’s about this/ these people are in it/ you should watch cause/ I’m cool.

I’ve gotten more jaded about what people are willing to invest their time in, so since my show was already 1) a comedy and 2) “simulating-Mars” – all bets are off. Nothing has to be real. Nothing has to be serious. Press releases always seem like a challenge to get media attention anyway, so at least make it fun for yourself. I like to call it “simulated news:)”

(Jon Chuby) #12

Counts in my mind!