What is the best way to announce a casting change?

(Yard Lion Films) #1

I’m currently recasting the lead for our web series and I wanted to address the situation without too much details, if you were in my situation, how would you explain the change in a future episode?

(Herman Wang) #2

Depends a lot on what your series is. For a sci-fi or fantasy series, you can possibly have an in-universe explanation for the change. In a comedy, you can crack a fourth-wall-breaking joke about it.

Our show The Spell Tutor had a similar dilemma between the first and second season, and we just had the character in question drink a potion that changed their appearance.

(Bri Castellini) #3

My show (sci-fi/comedy) had to recast a lead in season 2 and we just made sure to say the character’s name out loud and then remark - “did you change your hair?” before immediately moving on and never mentioning it again. And we hid photos of the old actor in the background of scenes for our own amusement haha.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

Hi Yarnel! We had to go through this from Season 1 to Season 2. Every situation is different, but here’s what I did for my series. I hope this helps!

(Yard Lion Films) #5

I saw your article, and it helped a lot. Given that TellyMime currently has a substitute host for the time being. Hopefully when we recast the role, we can give it a shot.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

Oh great! Is your show unscripted?

(Yard Lion Films) #7

It is scripted to say the least since I’ve written a few episodes a la Nostalgia Critic and or AVGN. It’s more of an overview series instead of a review.