What is the best way to announce a casting change?

(Yard Lion Films) #1

I’m currently recasting the lead for our web series and I wanted to address the situation without too much details, if you were in my situation, how would you explain the change in a future episode?

(Herman Wang) #2

Depends a lot on what your series is. For a sci-fi or fantasy series, you can possibly have an in-universe explanation for the change. In a comedy, you can crack a fourth-wall-breaking joke about it.

Our show The Spell Tutor had a similar dilemma between the first and second season, and we just had the character in question drink a potion that changed their appearance.

(Bri Castellini) #3

My show (sci-fi/comedy) had to recast a lead in season 2 and we just made sure to say the character’s name out loud and then remark - “did you change your hair?” before immediately moving on and never mentioning it again. And we hid photos of the old actor in the background of scenes for our own amusement haha.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

Hi Yarnel! We had to go through this from Season 1 to Season 2. Every situation is different, but here’s what I did for my series. I hope this helps!

(Yard Lion Films) #5

I saw your article, and it helped a lot. Given that TellyMime currently has a substitute host for the time being. Hopefully when we recast the role, we can give it a shot.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

Oh great! Is your show unscripted?

(Yard Lion Films) #7

It is scripted to say the least since I’ve written a few episodes a la Nostalgia Critic and or AVGN. It’s more of an overview series instead of a review.

(Yard Lion Films) #8

Here’s another question, what’s your thoughts if you can’t find a replacement and you want to reunite with the actor you’ve let go?

(Bri Castellini) #9

I guess it depends on why they aren’t involved anymore?

(Yard Lion Films) #10

It’s an option. I’m reconsidering recasting given how hard it was to find someone else, however id like to know other people’s experience with this.

To put in context, it’s like on the Jeffersons when the first Lionel was replaced with the second one only to have the first one return.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

I’ve thought about this too for my own show. I did not act upon it because it was based on feelings of nostalgia and wouldn’t work in reality. When someone shows a disinterest in your show it’s pretty hard to get them back on board. I gotta say I’m glad I didn’t do it.

(Yard Lion Films) #13

In quite honesty, I am considering every option in the book. Given the circumstances that we are in, we are in talks with a few people who are interested, so in the end we will know what to do in the future.

(Ralph Michael Brekan) #14

Are we talking a Dick switch?*

Or are you killing off a lead and writing in a new character or promoting a character to lead?

*Dick switch refers to the replacement of Dick York with Dick Sargent in season six of Bewitched.

(Yard Lion Films) #15

Maybe.

(Ralph Michael Brekan) #16

It’s not easy to pull off a Dick switch.

Personally, I’d kill or relocate the lead character and introduce a new lead along the same premise. That way your audience isn’t picking a favorite Dick.

(Yard Lion Films) #17

I thought about it too, and I did talk about it as well, but when I think about it, that would have been under false pretenses if not would cause tension. Any thoughts about that as well? On a side note, I did recast the lead.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #18

Hey! I’m not sure I understand the question. I’m willing to give additional insight if you still need it though. Since you recast I think it would be best to look forward and establish a new relationship with your new lead and leave the past in the past.

(Yard Lion Films) #20

That’s true.

(Yard Lion Films) #21

You mean like on the Fresh Prince or Roseanne, same premise.

(Ray Robinson) #22

My favorite method is to do what they did in Sense8 when actor was changed for Capheus, and Iron Man 2 when Don Cheadle took on the Rhodey role. Have someone say some variant of “Wow, you look different!”, and move on like normal. Simple, clean, nothing too dramatic. Fans will accept it, unless they are invested in that actor’s career somehow.