Where my animators at?!

(Thomas McGilvray) #1

Hi everyone,
I make the Urth series, new to Stareable, and I wanted to see how my other colleagues make their animated series. Do you have a team, or you do it all by your lonesome, etc…

I do everything myself, mostly in a 3D program called Blender. I’m continually striving to speed up my workflow; as you know any type of animation is time-consuming. I’m far from my goal of releasing episodes rapidly, but I remain positive that one day I will be so good at this that I just spit out finished scenes on a daily basis.

Peace and love to all of you,
Thomas

(Deb Ethier) #2

My animated series is 22Bones, the Adventures of Yorick, a Skull. There were 22 short episodes that I produced on my own (I AM the studio) between August 2018 and April 2019 - a MASSIVE undertaking, done in my own quirky combination of stop-motion, 2D and motion graphics using four different programs in my own version of a pipeline. It did get a lot smoother and quicker as I went along, and definitely was a learning process. I think you’ll find that the more you do the quicker it will go, finding your own shortcuts and style…however, as you say, animation is time-consuming; no way around it if you’re working on your own. I was putting in many long hours every day.
New (MUCH shorter) season due to launch on Hallowe’en; actually probably will be a half season!
All the best!

1 Like
(Bri Castellini) #3

@movieguyjon @gmcalpin @Oldschool1

(Thomas McGilvray) #4

Beautiful work! Another thing that will help as I build proper assets will be reusing them

1 Like
(Deb Ethier) #5

Thanks! And, yes, building a “library” of effects, assets and scenarios is really, really helpful with the future workflow!:grinning:

(Phillip Lewis ) #6

I use maya. I have one other animator but I do all the other work myself. Here are some screenshots.

image image

1 Like
(Deb Ethier) #7

Thomas: I just watched your first episode of Urth and I love it! I don’t think there’s anything quite like it out there as a web series. One becomes quite immersed in your cosmos as things unfold at a slow mesmerizing pace. I hope you don’t mind me saying so, but your robot protagonist is “cute”; but that’s good because it means we as humans identify with it as it attempts to navigate through the surreal universe you’ve created.

1 Like
(Thomas McGilvray) #8

Wow Deb, thank you so much! That means a lot to me. Yes the robot is intended to be “cute “. I love him! His character will morph into different forms throughout the series.

1 Like
(Thomas McGilvray) #9

Very cool! I’m really curious now and I have to watch it. How long does it take you to produce an episode?
@Oldschool1

(Phillip Lewis ) #10

Hey sorry for the late reply. It’s taking about 6 months to get to this point. I’m actually releasing all 4 episodes at once.