Who are your friends?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #1

Hi everyone! This is strictly out of curiosity. Within your social circle and the people you talk to every day how many of them are artists (actors, filmmakers, musicians, etc.) vs. non-artists? I feel like you need to have a good balance between artists and non-artists because it can get draining otherwise. Does anyone else feel the same way?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #2

I wouldn’t call my friend circles balanced necessarily. In this stage of my life I know a lot of artists and creative types and those are the ones I talk to the most, but I also know a few people in science and engineering roles as well as programmers and coders. The friend groups diversify the further back I go in my stages of life and the further back I go the less contact I have.

TL;DR version, I’m working on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

Interesting. Yes, naturally the people we work with on projects we tend to spend more time with. I do think it’s important to talk to people outside of that spectrum too. For me it feels like a break so I don’t have to constantly talk about my projects. Although I may occasionally to get the opinion of someone who isn’t in the industry AKA the average viewer. That’s good that you’re working on it though!

(Bri Castellini) #4

My friend circles tend to mostly be creative types, largely because unless I’m doing an activity/job with someone, it’s hard for me to stay in touch. My best friend from college isn’t an artist, but we did speech and debate together for four years and he was a psych major so honestly, close enough lol. Humanities majors I consider honorary artists half the time.

I don’t actually find having only artist friends draining, because I’m an insane person who is constantly working and it’s vindicating when I’m always surrounded by similarly ambitious creatives. It’s also easier to talk to artists than non artists because I can say more than “yeah we’re filming something soon.” I can go into detail about where we’re shooting, camera moves I’m excited about, etc, and find out the same from them. Non artists are hard to talk to about the minutia of my job and since my art is my hobby, it’s really the only thing I have to talk to people about.

(Idgafwebseries) #5

I think most of my friends are within the art circle and I think that can be fine if your circle mostly consists of that as long as there’s a diverse set of artist who practice different mediums because even outside of filmmaking and acting and musicians the way a sculpturist or a painter sees the world is usually totally different than mine. Like…being around people in a similar field to you doesn’t necessarily mean you’re always going to be around like minded individuals who can’t stimulate your thoughts in other non-art related ways. So i think you would never really get drained, as long as you meet the right people.

Also, with my non art friends I think they can be a lot more objective and help in keeping the conversation not so centered on the art world in general but then I sometimes find it hard to relate or have them understand certain elements of our careers and visions, which if you’re passionate about and that takes up a huge part of your life, then it kind of makes it harder to connect and seek or desire conversation with them if that makes sense? It’s very complicated…in short, i don’t have a balance lol. But i like it that way, for now.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

That makes sense! Maybe I need to meet more new people!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #7

Sometimes I feel this way too but other times I don’t. It’s strange!

(Bri Castellini) #8

That’s probably healthier :joy: