Working with a Colorist

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #1

Hi all! I am working with a colorist for the first time and didn’t give him any initial notes (we are working in Frame IO, which is a great resource to review sequences between a team). Any suggestions on how to give good notes other than highlight, lighten or darken?

Thanks!

(Bri Castellini) #2

This sounds like a @movieguyjon and a @hermdelica if I’ve ever seen one!

(Herman Wang) #3

I’ve never worked with a colourist before, but maybe give an idea of the kind of mood you’re looking for. As random examples, Marvel movies tend to be colourful to capture a comic-book feel, whereas something like The Matrix was muted to give an oppressive feel.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

Sounds good. Thank you!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

Also I highly recommend using Frame IO when working with a post-production team. It saves so much time!

(Emma Drewry) #6

think about tone-- cool tones, mid-range, warm, etc., as well as things like contrast, brightness, and exposure. those are generally parameters colorists work with and will help more than vague direction because it will give your colorist a specific actionable imperative. you can also pick out specific colors you want to emphasize, and a good colorist should be able to make them stand out.

(Emma Drewry) #7

(we had a colorist who wasn’t a part of the core production team for the majority of our season’s episodes)

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #8

Excellent thank you!

(Emma Drewry) #9

no problem!

(Arthur Vincie) #10

I usually put together a cue sheet (I can send you a sample) with some timecode #s and general notes about what I’m looking for; also if I have any VFX or greenscreen footage that may need to get corrected later I make sure to note that down.

I also email some screencaps or photos of the “look” I’m aiming for. I like to have my DP there as well.

Is your colorist is doing any frame repos or other basic compositing? My guy used to do some simple punches if I had a boom at the edge of the frame or other gaak I wanted to frame out.

I don’t think you need to get too technical.

Good luck!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

I normally can do the framing if necessary. Researching the “look” is something I can do. Yes, I will DM you for an example cue sheet. This is extremely helpful thank you @avincie !