You Just Made the "Do Not Hire" List!

(Keith Chamberlain) #1

So, I recently had to fire three visual effects artists consecutively because they each all decided halfway through the gig to demand more money. Now, mind you, this is after they each signed a contract detailing their responsibilities and more importantly, the rate of pay. Yet, despite agreeing to both of these, these three individuals decided to “go rogue”, do half the work (if that) and then demand more money to complete the rest of the effects. To do that would, let these guys know they can do this to anyone and I draw a serious line here.Mind you, these aren’t even elaborate effects, mostly masking. It shouldn’t be a surprise that I told each one, “Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out!” and added them to my internal “Do Not Hire” list. Now that’s how someone would make my list, how would someone make yours?

(Herman Wang) #2

Once had a MUA fail to show up to a shoot. Luckily she was one of two (the other did show), but it took a lot longer to set up for shooting with only one MUA and that increased our total costs for the day.

Not even an apology afterwards, nothing.

(Emma Drewry) #3

on our last episode, an editor said he “didn’t have time” to respond to the first round of notes that we gave him on the first cut. including a major audio error where audio from a different character in a different take was randomly playing. i had to fix it myself as it was set to air today and i was only told today that he wouldn’t be doing more edits. pissed me off to absolutely no end

(Bri Castellini) #4

I told my do-not-hire story in this article. It was… an ADVENTURE.

(Kailee Cristina Brown) #5

I think generally when people make the “do not hire” list from our stuff, it’s when they say they’ll do something and then don’t. Whether it’s showing up to set, not fulfilling duties on or off set, etc., those people always make things 10x more difficult when you’re counting on them and then they don’t follow through. There have been some annoying/disrespectful crew members I’ve worked with that I wouldn’t with again as well, like a guy who was hitting on me while I was trying to be efficient and professional on set (I’m a DP) and a camera operator who moved some of my shots on a show.

It seems like it should be simple - do your job and be respectful, but sometimes people have such a hard time!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

I have many of these stories but I have to say the cherry on top is if I have to worry about someone on my set becoming physically violent with another crew member then that’s where I draw the line. I am not adding bouncer to the list of jobs I do on my set. Goodbye!

(Bri Castellini) #7

Oh man that reminds me of a story I haven’t told before! We were mid-shoot, the actor hadn’t memorized his lines, and he was feeling insecure but aggressive (men) and thought the DP was giving him attitude about not knowing the lines (no attitude) and tried to start shoving him while the DP was still holding the camera. The director had to physically stand between them to keep a fight from breaking out.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #8

Unfortunately when some people feel threatened they resort to violence which is a similar situation I had and something I wasn’t ready to deal with. We had to take a break and “peer mediate.” It was ridiculous.

(Bri Castellini) #9

There’s no excuse for that kind of behavior. Do not hire. Boom, good riddance.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #10

Yup. Agreed.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

The thread on this might be my fave on Stareable <3

(Amen J.) #12

Wow, I didn’t realize violence could be a pitfall on set. Sorry to hear that you guys! What I have been finding absolutely infuriating so far as a director is giving a very clear paper edit, not having it followed and the editor does not explain why, even when I ask them to just indicate their reason on the shared Google doc. I am all for people being creative in their roles, but when my direction is blatantly disregarded it is frustrating. In both cases I am not able to fire myself, but having someone consistently do that if I was producing is completely disrespectful and I would want them gone.

And then of course I am seeing as being the one nit picking, having to backtrack to fix all the instances where the editor did not follow my direction…

(Evie Marie Warner) #13

I dont like it when people make my job harder. I am juggling so much that if make my job harder by being unreliable, obnoxious, argumentative, i wont work with you again. Had a guy i blocked just recently b/c of his attitude and the way he had treated others in the past. If i didnt block him would keep offering his help

(Emma Drewry) #14

this is absolutely my thing, too. I’m honestly okay if you give as much notice as you can and communicate with me, but if you agree to do something, fail to do so, and then drop off the face of the earth, I’m never working with you again. all i need is a reasonable effort to uphold our agreement and i’m golden! communication is key

(Marc Unger) #15

On our show Thespian, in the fourth episode, there’s a pretty dramatic scene where my character is arguing with an old flame who is now an acting coach. We were bare bones crew to begin with and, on this day, the sound guy we had hired for the day never bothered to show up or even call. The scene was shot with our DP holding the audio equipment on his other shoulder while my wife held the script to supervise, the boom and our dog so he wouldn’t walk into the shots. That’s indie filmmaking right there! Point is, people will come and go, nurture and disappoint, so just never hire the bad ones again and always keep going!