YouTube Partner Program just pushed requirements up again

(Herman Wang) #1

So, shortly after our show The Spell Tutor met the most recently invented YouTube Partner Program requirement of 10,000 views, they’ve pushed requirements up again, so that now you need:

• 4,000 hours of watch time within 12 months
  • 1,000 subscribers

Not that we were raking it in with YPP, but it feels like it’s not worth chasing the requirements when they just arbitrarily increase them whenever they feel like it.

The Biggest Mistake Indie Filmmakers Are Making
(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #2

I just got this letter too. I’m pissed since I worked hard for those 15k views! :frowning:

(Bri Castellini) #3

ME THREE. Not that I was making any money, but still.

(Meg Carroway) #4

Why do you guys think they raised requirements? Doesn’t that take money away from Youtube, especially if the smaller “partners” aren’t even making money?

(Herman Wang) #5

I think it’s a way to increase the apparent legitimacy of the Program, by only including the most successful YouTubers

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #6

YouTube lost its credibility. It would not be strange that in a few months more they say that 100K subscribers are needed to have Ads since some money can be seen with that number of followers.
I’m going to try Dailymotion, which I understand pays 5 dollars for every 1000 visits …

(Bri Castellini) #7

@movieguyjon had some interesting thoughts on this on Twitter.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #8

Heh, they are certainly some thoughts.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #9

I’ve seen a few well-established creatives on Youtube suggest that this is really the outcome of the adpocalype that happened not too long ago, and that the Logan Paul video was what lit the fire for YT to expedite the change. It’s basically putting advertisers minds at ease and giving them a better incentive to use their budget in the YT space.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #10

Blasphemy!

(Joseph Steven Heath) #11

I’ve been monetized for a long while now and now I’m not going to be. Which, honestly, is fine. I’ve not made enough to amount to anything.

(Bri Castellini) #12

After reading through it more, the only other major impact on channels losing access to this is losing the ability to link external websites in cards and end screens. You can just link those in the description boxes, though, so unless most of your audience is mobile and can’t click description box links, it shouldn’t affect a ton.

#webserieschat on twitter is talking about this topic right now, actually! If you or anyone else in this thread wants to jump in!

(Erik Urtz) #13

Great discussion in #WebSeriesChat today. To me this is obviously YouTube’s way of addressing advertising rolling over the kind of videos advertisers don’t want to be associated with. Those videos are generally posted by users with significantly fewer subscribers and viewers. It is far easier for YT to increase the viewing requirements that earn you monetization than it is for them to moderate new content.

(Herman Wang) #14

I can understand that, but this is the second adjustment in a fairly short period of time. It’s like the first one was “Oopsie, that didn’t stick, let’s try again!”.

They could have put more effort into making it work correctly the first time. This just makes them look slapdash.

(Alex Barbag) #15

If you don’t qualify for the new rules, then you probably weren’t making that much in the first place.

I’m just annoyed that I don’t have more subscribers. But that’s not YouTube’s fault.

(Bri Castellini) #16

That was honestly my thinking, and after reading a few more articles, I haven’t changed my mind much. If you aren’t at that threshold then you’re right- it wasn’t doing you any good anyways.

(Gabriel Crutchfield) #17

Guess I’ll never get there now. I think if you’ve met the requirements once, they shouldn’t make you jump through hoops again just because it changes. It should only apply to people who aren’t already partnered.

(Ron Valderrama) #18

I am obviously biased but I would really consider getting the shows on a platform like @georgereese’s Seeka or Stream Now TV that are hyper focused on actual content instead of cat videos. And support the damn platform. Not just your shows, but watch others. Share others. People try things that their friends and family suggest.

Think about the first time you heard about Uber. Was it an ad or was it a friend telling you? For most it was someone telling them about it. To unpack that a bit, how did they tell you about it? They probably did not post a link saying “check this out” or “my friend just started working for this company please support it”. No, it was probably more like “this is awesome, I just got picked up by a Mercedes after a long night out drinking and it cost less than a cab.” In other words, tell them why they need to watch.

Lastly, there are a bunch of platforms popping up now so do some homework. Look at the platform and see if your content fits in there before submitting. There are networks for horror, African content, comedy or general. Find one that your content can be successful on. The benefits are that it would have a better user experience, probably pay more that YT and the platform has an incentive to make your show a success where YT never cared. Just my two cents.